Application Notes (7)
- AN-924: Digital Quadrature Modulator Gain (pdf, 105 kB)
- AN-922: Digital Pulse-Shaping Filter Basics (pdf, 1582 kB)
- AN-851: A WiMax Double Downconversion IF Sampling Receiver Design (pdf, 262 kB)
- AN-837: DDS-Based Clock Jitter Performance vs. DAC Reconstruction Filter Performance (pdf, 313 kB)
AN-823: Direct Digital Synthesizers in Clocking Applications Time
(pdf, 115 kB)
Jitter in Direct Digital Synthesizer-Based Clocking Systems
- AN-772: A Design and Manufacturing Guide for the Lead Frame Chip Scale Package (LFCSP) (pdf, 439 kB)
- AN-237: Choosing DACs for Direct Digital Synthesis (pdf, 1156 kB)
Technical Articles (7)
- Basics of Designing a Digital Radio Receiver (Radio 101) (pdf, 77 kB)
DDS Simplifies Polar Modulation
By Ken Gentile, Analog Devices ... Basic modulation mathematics and DDS (direct digital synthesis) provide designers with an all-digital technique for generating polar-encoded carrier signals. (EDN, 8/5/2004)
- Digital Up/Down Converters: VersaCOMM™ White Paper (pdf, 97 kB)
Improved DDS Devices Enable Advanced Comm Systems
by Valoree Young, Analog Devices
(Electronic Products, September 2006)
Introducing Digital Up/Down Converters: VersaCOMM™ Reconfigurable Digital Converters
(pdf, 63 kB)
Revolutionize your radio architectures
Speedy A/Ds Demand Stable Clocks
by Jeff Keip, Analog Devices, Inc. (EE Times, 3/18/04)
The Year of the Waveform Generator
(Test & Measurement World, 12/1/2005)
Analog Dialogue (1)
Ask The Application Engineer—33: All About Direct Digital Synthesis
(Analog Dialogue, Vol. 38, August 2004)
Data Sheets (1)
Design Handbooks (1)
A Technical Tutorial on Digital Signal Synthesis
(pdf, 901 kB)
Copyright © 1999 Analog Devices, Inc.
- Are any of your DDS products space qualified?
- Are frequency changes of a DDS phase coherent?
- Are there any specific recommendations for material in the vias of the circuit board for the thermally enhanced package styles in which some ADI DDS' are available?
- Can I gate the REF CLK on and off?
- Can I read back data at the same rate that I can write the data to the DDS device?
- Can I use the same power supply for AVDD and DVDD?
- Can the DDS evaluation boards be integrated directly into a system project?
- Do you have a DDS overview?
- Do you recommend a linear or switching power supply?
- Does Analog Devices offer a list of manufacturers of oscillators for DDS devices?
- How can I control the envelope of the output?
- How can I synchronize multiple DDS parts?
- How do I change the phase of my output signal?
- How do I perform amplitude modulation on the output?
- How do I use a DDS for a clock driver?
- I am having problems getting my evaluation software to see my evaluation board; what should I do to correct the problem?
- I have limited experience working with thermally enhanced packages. Where can I get information concerning the proper techniques for soldering and assembly?
- I have limited power to supply to the part. What can I do to reduce the power consumption of the device and thus ensure that my supply is adequate?
- I need to operate my DDS part above the rated temperature range. Can you give me any reliability data?
- I would like to update the FTW of my DDS, but only a single byte of the FTW needs to change. Can the frequency tuning word of a DDS be partially updated a byte at a time?
- I'm not using all the blocks of the AD9858. What do I do with the unused inputs of these sections?
- If I violate the proper logic level of the REF CLK (that is, underdrive or overdrive it), what can I expect?
- If the port has a differential REF CLK, and I want to use a single-ended clock, what do I do with the other differential input?
- Is all DDS software supplied by Analog Devices compatible with all WinXX versions?
- Should I separate digital and analog ground planes on my evaluation board?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of serial and parallel mode?
- What are the proper logic input levels for the DDS parts?
- What causes a Quadrature Digital Upconverter (AD9856, AD9857) to go into a CIC overflow condition?
- What is the effect of increasing my supply voltage beyond the nominal recommended value?
- What is the effect of REF CLK jitter on the DDS?
- What is the maximum speed I can write to the part?
- What is the proper termination for the DAC outputs for the DDS products?
- What is the ratio between the analog and digital currents drawn by the DDS devices?
- What kind of problems can I expect from exceeding the maximum clock rate? (power dissipation, spectral problems)
- What layout recommendations do you have for the power supply pins of the DDS device?
- What logic families can interface with our parts?
- What type of automatic frequency sweeping modes does each of your DDS parts support?
- What type of frequency sweeping is available?
- What type of signal source is recommended?
- Where can I find some good background material on direct digital synthesis?
- Why can't I see a signal at the output of my DDS when it is unterminated? (I'm setting everything correctly, but I'm just probing the output pins of the DDS which have nothing connected to them.)
- Why did the model numbers change on the AD9852 and AD9854 products? I thought they were available in the ASQ package.
- Why does spectral performance degrade when using larger values of multiplication on the clock multiplier?
Product Reviews (2)
Free Direct Digital Synthesis IC Evaluation Tool
(Control Engineering, 9/14/2006)
On-Line Evaluation Tool Simplifies Implementing DDS Semiconductors