Features and Benefits
- Complete Single-Channel Optical Data Acquisition System
- Ultra Low-Power Operation for Wearable Devices
- Low-Power Operation, Optical Readout Channel < 11micro;A at 25fps
- Exposure Integration Period Ranging from 14.6µs to 117.1µs
- Low Shutdown Current < 1µA
- Excellent Top-End Dynamic Range > 98dB in White Card Loop-Back Test (Nyquist Sample-to-Sample Variance)
- Extended Dynamic Range up to 118dB (100fps, Measurement Averaging and Off-Chip Filtering)
- Supports Frame Rates from 1fps to 1.9kfps
- High Resolution 20-bit Charge Integrating ADCs
- Low Dark Current Noise of < 50pA RMS (Sample-to-Sample Variance in 118.2µs Integration Time)
- Excellent Ambient Range and Rejection Capability
- > 200µA Ambient Photodetector Current
- > 80dB Ambient Rejection at 120Hz (Measurement Averaging = 2)
The MAX86177 is an ultra-low-power optical data acquisition system with both transmit and receive channels. On the transmitter side, it has two, high-current 8-bit programmable LED drivers and supports up to six LEDs. On the receiver side, it has four low-noise charge integrating front-ends that each includes independent 20-bit analog-to-digital converters (ADCs) and best-in-class ambient light cancellation (ALC) circuits, producing the highest performing integrated optical data acquisition system in the market today.
Due to its low power consumption, compact size, ease and flexibility of use, the MAX86177 is ideal for a wide variety of optical sensing applications such as pulse oximetry and heart rate detection.
The MAX86177 operates on a 1.8V main supply voltage and a 3.1V to 5.5V LED driver supply voltage. The device supports both I2C- and SPI-compatible interfaces in a fully autonomous way. The device has a large 512-word built-in FIFO. The MAX86177 is available in a 7 x 4 28-bump wafer level package (WLP) with dimensions of 2.83mm x 1.89mm, and operates over -40ºC to +85ºC temperature range.
- Clinical Accuracy
- Optimized Performance to Detect: Optical Heart Rate, Heart Rate Variability, Oxygen Saturation (SpO2), Body Hydration, Muscle and Tissue Oxygen Saturation (SmO2 & StO2), Maximum Oxygen Consumption (VO2 Max)
- Suitable for Wrist, Finger, Ear, and Other Locations
- Wearable Devices for Fitness, Wellness, and Medical Applications
Markets and Technologies
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The MAX86177 evaluation system (EV system) allows for the quick evaluation of the MAX86177 optical AFE for applications at various sites on the body, particularly the wrist. The EV sys supports both I2C and SPI compatible interfaces. The EV sys has four optical readout channels that operate simultaneously. The EV sys allows flexible configurations to optimize measurement signal quality at minimal power consumption. The EV sys supports file logging and flash logging, allowing the user to disconnect from the computer for more convenient data capturing sessions, such as overnight or outdoor running.
The EV sys consists of two boards. MAXSENSORBLE_ EVKIT_B is the main data acquisition board while MAX86177_OSB_EVKIT_A is the sensor daughter board for the MAX86177. To enable PPG measurement capabilities, the sensor board contains six LEDs (two OSRAM SFH7016, red, green, and IR 3-in-1 LED package) and eight discrete photodiodes (OSRAM SFH2704), and an accelerometer. The EV sys is powered through a LiPo battery attached inside it and can be charged using a Type-C port. The EV Sys communicates with MAX86177GUI (should be installed in user’s system) using Bluetooth® built into Windows (Win BLE). The EV sys contains the latest firmware but comes with the programming circuit board MAXDAP-TYPE-C in case a firmware upgrade is needed.
- Optical Heart Rate
- Optimized performance for high SNR PPG signal to detect
- Oxygen Saturation (SpO2)
- Suitable for Wrist, Finger, Ear, Chest, and Abdomen
- Wearable Devices for Fitness, Wellness & Medical Applications
Features & Benefits
- Quick Evaluation of the MAX86177
- Supports Optimization of Configurations
- Facilitates Understanding MAX86177 Architecture and Solution Strategy
- Real-Time Monitoring
- Data Logging Capabilities
- On-Board Accelerometer
- Bluetooth® LE
- Windows® 10-Compatible GUI Software
Documentation & Resources
Tools & Simulations
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Support & Discussions
Sample & Buy
See our Ordering FAQs for answers to questions about online orders, payment options and more.
Buy Now Pricing
(**) Displayed Buy Now Price and Price Range is based on small quantity orders.
(*)The 1Ku list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Please see the latest communication from our CCO regarding lead times.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.
Pricing displayed is based on 1-piece.
Up to two boards can be purchased through Analog.com. To order more than two, please purchase through one of our listed distributors.
Pricing displayed is based on 1-piece. The USA list pricing shown is for budgetary use only, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit), and is subject to change. International prices may vary due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates.