Features and Benefits
- Operate from a Single 3.3V Supply-No Charge Pump!
- Interoperable with +5V Logic
- 8ns Max Skew (MAX3485/MAX3490/MAX3491)
- Slew-Rate Limited for Errorless Data Transmission (MAX3483/MAX3488)
- 2nA Low-Current Shutdown Mode (MAX3483/MAX3485/MAX3486/MAX3491)
- -7V to +12V Common-Mode Input Voltage Range
- Allows up to 32 Transceivers on the Bus
- Full-Duplex and Half-Duplex Versions Available
- Industry Standard 75176 Pinout (MAX3483/MAX3485/MAX3486)
- Current-Limiting and Thermal Shutdown for Driver Overload Protection
The MAX3483, MAX3485, MAX3486, MAX3488, MAX3490, and MAX3491 are 3.3V, low-power transceivers for RS-485 and RS-422 communication. Each part contains one driver and one receiver. The MAX3483 and MAX3488 feature slew-rate-limited drivers that minimize EMI and reduce reflections caused by improperly terminated cables, allowing error-free data transmission at data rates up to 250kbps. The partially slew-rate-limited MAX3486 transmits up to 2.5Mbps. The MAX3485, MAX3490, and MAX3491 transmit at up to 10Mbps.
Drivers are short-circuit current limited and are protected against excessive power dissipation by thermal shutdown circuitry that places the driver outputs into a high-impedance state. The receiver input has a fail-safe feature that guarantees a logic-high output if both inputs are open circuit.
The MAX3488, MAX3490, and MAX3491 feature full-duplex communication, while the MAX3483, MAX3485, and MAX3486 are designed for half-duplex communication.
- Industrial Control Local Area Networks
- Integrated Services Digital Networks
- Low-Power RS-485/RS-422 Transceivers
- Packet Switching
- Transceivers for EMI-Sensitive Applications
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Documentation & Resources
Tools & Simulations
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
See our Ordering FAQs for answers to questions about online orders, payment options and more.
Buy Now Pricing
(**) Displayed Buy Now Price and Price Range is based on small quantity orders.
(*)The 1Ku list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.