Features and Benefits
- Two H-Bridges with +65V Voltage Rating
- Total Rdson (High-Side + Low-Side): 300mΩ Typical (TA = 25°C)
- Current Ratings per H-Bridge (Typical at TA = 25°C):
- IMAX = 3.8AMAX (Impulsive Current for Driving Capacitive Loads)
- IFS(MAX) = 2.8A (Maximum Full Scale Current Setting for Internal Current Drive Regulation)
- IRMS = 2ARMS per Phase (TA = 25°C, VM = +24V)
- Integrated Current Control
- Full-Scale DAC Current Configurable with External Resistance
- One Logic Input (TRQ) to Quickly Change the Torque among Two Levels
- Internal Current Sensing (ICS) Eliminates External Bulky Resistors and Improves Efficiency
- Built-in-Control with 128-usteps Indexer
- STEP/DIR Interface
- Integrated DAC and Sequencer for U-Stepping
- Multiple Decay Modes (Slow, Mixed, Adaptive)
- Fixed OFF Time Configurable with External Resistance
- Current-Sense Output (ISENA, ISENB) Current Monitor
- Fault Indicator Pin Active-Low (FAULT)
- Overcurrent Protection for each Individual Channel (OCP)
- Undervoltage Lockout (UVLO)
- Thermal Shutdown TJ = 155°C (TSD)
- TQFN38 5mm x 7mm Package (TSSOP38 4.4mm x 9.7mm Available in the Future)
The MAX22204 is a two-phase stepper motor driver. It integrates two 65V, 3.8AMAX H-Bridges. The H-Bridge FETs have very low impedance, resulting in high driving efficiency and minimal heat. The typical total RON (high-side + low-side) is 0.3Ω. The MAX22204 integrates an accurate current drive regulation circuit and a 128-microstep built-in indexer controlled by a STEP/DIR interface. The high microstep resolution and advanced control technique ensure smooth and quiet operations.
The current flowing into the two low-side FETs is sensed by a non-dissipative Integrated Current Sensing (ICS) and it is then compared with the desired step threshold current. As soon as the bridge current exceeds the threshold (ITRIP), the device enforces the decay for a fixed OFF-time (tOFF).
The non-dissipative ICS eliminates the bulky external power resistors normally required for this function, resulting in a dramatic space and power saving compared with mainstream applications based on the external sense resistor. Currents proportional to the internally-sensed bridge currents are output to pins ISENA and ISENB. By connecting external resistors to these pins, voltages proportional to the bridge currents are generated. These can be used for diagnostic purposes.
The maximum output current per H-Bridge is IMAX = 3.8AMAX limited by the Overcurrent Protection (OCP). The device delivers up to 2ARMS per phase at VM = +24V and TA = 25°C with proper PCB ground plane for thermal dissipation. The current capability depends on the PCB thermal characteristic (PCB ground planes, heatsinks, ventilation, etc.)The maximum full-scale current per H-Bridge is IFS = 2.8A and can be set by an external resistor connected from the REF pin to GND. This current is defined as the maximum current setting of the integrated drive regulation circuit.
One logic input (TRQ) allows to quickly change the current setting among two different values for fast torque control.
The MAX22204 features Overcurrent Protection (OCP), Thermal Shutdown (TSD), and Undervoltage Lockout (UVLO). An open drain active low FAULT pin is activated every time a fault condition is detected. During Thermal Shutdown and Undervoltage Lockout, the driver is disabled until normal operating conditions are restored.
The MAX22204 is packaged into a TQFN38 5mm x 7mm package.
- Stepper Motor Driver
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The MAX22204 evaluation kit (EV kit) provides a proven design to evaluate the +65V, 3.8A (peak) 2-phase stepper motor driver. The EV kit can drive a single stepper motor and provides an on-board microcontroller (MCU) and GUI to drive the MAX22204’s inputs and configure the modes of operation. Microstep modes, decay modes, target speeds, and acceleration can also be configured using the GUI.
- Stepper Motor Driver
Features & Benefits
- Easy Evaluation of the MAX22204 Stepper Motor Driver
- On-Board MCU and GUI to Drive and Configure MAX22204
- Configurable Target Speed
- Configurable Acceleration Profiles
- Configurable Microstepping and Decay Modes
- Motor Coil Current Reporting
- Configurable Full-Scale Current
- On-Board +3.3V Regulator to Supply I/Os of the MAX22204
- Perforated Board and Headers Allows for Separation of MAX22204 Circuit
- Windows 7®/8®/10®Compatible Software
- Fully Assembled and Tested
- Proven PCB Layout
Documentation & Resources
Tools & Simulations
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Support & Discussions
Sample & Buy
See our Ordering FAQs for answers to questions about online orders, payment options and more.
Buy Now Pricing
(**) Displayed Buy Now Price and Price Range is based on small quantity orders.
(*)The 1Ku list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Please see the latest communication from our CCO regarding lead times.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.
Pricing displayed is based on 1-piece.
Up to two boards can be purchased through Analog.com. To order more than two, please purchase through one of our listed distributors.
Pricing displayed is based on 1-piece. The USA list pricing shown is for budgetary use only, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit), and is subject to change. International prices may vary due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates.