MAX1968-MAX1969: Power Drivers for Peltier TEC Modules Data Sheet (Rev. 3)6/19/2015289K
Features and Benefits
- High Accuracy and Adjustability Improves System Performance by Optimizing TEC Operation
- Direct Current Control Prevents TEC Current Surges
- Ripple Cancellation for Low Noise
- No Dead-Zone or Hunting at Low-Output Current
- 1% Accurate Voltage Reference
- Adjustable TEC Voltage Limit
- Separately Adjustable Heating and Cooling Current Limits
- ITEC Output Provides Proportional Voltage to TEC Current for Monitoring
- High-Efficiency Switch-Mode Design
- On-Chip Power MOSFETs Improve Efficiency While Reducing External Components
- 500kHz/1MHz Switching Frequency
- Choose from ±3A Output Current (MAX1968) or 6A Output Current (MAX1969)
- Thermally Enhanced TSSOP-EP Package Minimizes Operating Junction Temperature
The MAX1968/MAX1969 are highly integrated and cost-effective, high-efficiency, switch-mode drivers for Peltier thermoelectric cooler (TEC) modules. Both devices utilize direct current control to eliminate current surges in the TEC. On-chip FETs minimize external components while providing high efficiency. A 500kHz/1MHz switching frequency and a unique ripple cancellation scheme reduce component size and noise.
The MAX1968 operates from a single supply and provides bipolar ±3A output by biasing the TEC between the outputs of two synchronous buck regulators. Bipolar operation allows for temperature control without "dead zones" or other nonlinearities at low load currents. This arrangement ensures that the control system does not hunt when the set point is very close to the natural operating point, requiring a small amount of heating or cooling. An analog control signal precisely sets the TEC current. The MAX1969 provides unipolar output up to 6A. Reliability is optimized with settable limits for both TEC voltage and current, with independently set limits for heating and cooling current. An analog output also monitors TEC current.
The MAX1968/MAX1969 are available in a low-profile 28-pin TSSOP-EP package and is specified over the -40°C to +85°C temperature range. The thermally-enhanced TSSOP-EP package with exposed metal pad minimizes operating junction temperature. An evaluation kit is available to speed designs.
- Automated Test Equipment (ATE)
- Biotech Lab Equipment
- EDFA Optical Amplifiers
- Fiber Optic Network Equipment
- Fiber-Optic Laser Modules
- Telecom Fiber Interfaces
- WDM, DWDM Laser Diode Temperature Control
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Documentation & Resources
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Support & Discussions
Sample & Buy
See our Ordering FAQs for answers to questions about online orders, payment options and more.
Buy Now Pricing
(**) Displayed Buy Now Price and Price Range is based on small quantity orders.
(*)The 1Ku list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Please see the latest communication from our CCO regarding lead times.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.