Features and Benefits
- InTune Automatic Compensation Simplifies and Speeds Design
- Ensures Stability While Optimizing Transient Performance
- State-Space Compensation Results in Fast Transient Response with Reduced Output Capacitance
- Out-of-the-Box Operation Enables Fast Prototyping
- Supports Pin-Strappable Configuration: Output Voltage, SMBus Address, Switching Frequency, Current Limit
- Easy to Use PMBus Interface for Configuration, Control, and Monitoring
- Flexible Sequencing and Fault Management
- Supports Voltage Positioning
- Configurable Soft-Start and Soft-Stop Time
- 300kHz to 1000kHz Fixed-Frequency Operation
- Integration Yields Small Solution Size
- Integrated High- and Low-Side MOSFETs
- Efficient On-Chip BabyBuck Regulator for Self-Bias Output
- Startup into a Prebiased Output
- Performance Optimized for Communication and Computing Systems
- Differential Remote Voltage Sensing Enables ±1.25% VOUT Accuracy over Temperature (-40°C to +85°C)
- 4.5V to 14V Wide Input Range
- Output Voltage Range from 0.5V to 5.25V
- External Synchronization
The MAX15303 is a full-featured, flexible, efficient, 6A digital point-of-load (PoL) controller with integrated switching MOSFETs. It contains advanced power-management and telemetry features. Unlike PID-based digital power regulators, the device uses Maxim’s patented InTune™ automatically compensated, state-space control algorithm. The InTune control law is valid for both the small- and large-signal response and accounts for duty-cycle saturation effects. These capabilities result in fast loop transient response and reduce the number of output capacitors compared to competing digital controllers.
To help maximize system efficiency and reduce overall parts count, the device uses Maxim’s BabyBuck regulator. The BabyBuck eliminates the need for an external bias supply. The BabyBuck can be configured in two different modes to maximize system flexibility.
The device is designed to minimize the end customer’s design time. Automatic compensation eliminates the need for external compensation circuitry and allows changes to the output inductor and capacitor, without the need to manually redesign the compensation circuitry. An on-board PMBus™-compliant serial bus interface enables communication with a supervisory controller for monitoring and fault management. A full suite of power-management features eliminates the need for complicated and expensive sequencing and monitoring ICs. Basic DC-DC conversion operation can be set up through pin strapping and does not require user-configuration firmware. This allows for rapid development of the power-supply subsystem before board-level systems engineering is completed. Maxim provides support hardware and software for configuring the device.The MAX15303 is available in a 40-pin, 6mm × 6mm TQFN package with an exposed pad and operates over the -40°C to +85°C temperature range.
- Base-Station Equipment
- Power Modules
- Storage Systems
Product Lifecycle Not Recommended for New Designs
This designates products ADI does not recommend broadly for new designs.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The MAX15303 evaluation kit (EV kit) is a proven application circuit design for the MAX15303 digital DC-DC controller integrated circuit (IC). The EV kit allows the user to easily modify and test the EV kit with different operating conditions. The EV kit can be used as a standalone board if desired. However, to take full advantage of the IC’s capability, the user must connect the EV kit to a PC with the Maxim PowerTool MAXPOWERTOOL002# USB-to-PMBus™ interface dongle and then control and monitor the EV kit with Maxim’s digital PowerTool graphical user interface (GUI) software. The PowerTool GUI allows a PC to control the PMBus interface and to collect real-time data from the EV kit. The PowerTool is Windows XP®, Windows Vista®, and Windows®7 compatible. It provides a simple interface for exercising the features of the IC.
- Base-Station Equipment
- Power Modules
- Storage Systems
Features & Benefits
- InTune™ Digital Point-of-Load (PoL) Switched-Mode Power Supply (SMPS)
- Digital State-Space Control
- Dual-Edge-Modulated Pulse-Width Modulation (PWM)
- 300kHz to 1MHz Switching Frequency
- 5V to 12V Input Voltage Range Using Linear Mode
- 6.5V to 12V Input Voltage Range Using BabyBuck Mode
- 0.6V to 3.3V Output Voltage Range
- 6A Output Current Capability
- Single-Phase Operation
- Pin-Strap or PMBus Configuration
- SMB Connectors for Low-Noise Measurements
- Connectors for Multiple-Rail Evaluation
- PMBus Interface for Control and Monitoring
- High-Speed Serial-Port Diagnostics
The EV kit requires the use of the MAXPOWERTOOL002# which is not included and must be purchased separately.
Documentation & Resources
max15303 Reliability Data10/10/2022
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
See our Ordering FAQs for answers to questions about online orders, payment options and more.
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.