Features and Benefits
- Allows Safe Board Insertion and Removal from a Live Backplane
- Controls Three Supply Voltages from 1.7V to 16.5V with VCC1 ≥ VCC2 ≥ VCC3
- Programmable Soft-Start with Inrush Current Limiting, No External Gate Capacitor Required
- Faster Turn-Off Time with No Gate Capacitor
- Dual Level Overcurrent Fault Protection
- Programmable Overcurrent Response Time
- Programmable Overvoltage Protection
- Automatic Retry or Latched Mode Operation
- Independent N-Channel FET High Side Drivers
- User-Programmable Supply Voltage Power-Up Rate
- FBn Pin Monitors VOUTn and Signals RESETn
- Glitch Filter Eliminates Spurious RESETn Signals
The LTC4230 is a 3-channel Hot Swap™ controller that allows a board to be safely inserted and removed from a live backplane. Internal high side switch drivers control the gates of external N-channel MOSFETs for supply voltages ranging from 1.7V to 16.5V. The LTC4230 provides soft-start and inrush current limiting during the programmable start-up period.
On-chip current limit comparators provide dual level circuit breaker protection. The slow comparators trip at VCCn – 50mV and activate in 10µs or are programmed by an external filter capacitor. The fast comparators trip at VCCn – 150mV and typically respond in 500ns.
Each FBn pin monitors its own output supply voltage and signals its RESET pin. The ON pin turns the chip on and off and can be used for a reset function. The LTC4230 also provides additional functions including fault indication, autoretry or latchoff modes, programmable current limit response time based on the FAULT and FILTER pins’ functionality.
- Electronic Circuit Breaker
- Hot Board Insertion and Removal (Either On Backplane or On Removable Card)
- Industrial High Side Switch/Circuit Breaker
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (1)
Tools & Simulations
LTspice® is a powerful, fast and free simulation software, schematic capture and waveform viewer with enhancements and models for improving the simulation of analog circuits.
Models for the following parts are available in LTspice:
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.
Pricing displayed is based on 1-piece.
Up to two boards can be purchased through Analog.com. To order more than two, please purchase through one of our listed distributors.
Pricing displayed is based on 1-piece. The USA list pricing shown is for budgetary use only, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit), and is subject to change. International prices may vary due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates.