Hot Swap Controller
Features and Benefits
- Allows Safe Board Insertion and Removal from a Live Backplane
- Controls Load Voltages from 0V to 6V
- Fast Response Limits Peak Fault Current
- Adjustable Analog Current Limit
- Adjustable Soft-Start with Inrush Current Limiting
- Adjustable Response Time for Overcurrent Protection
- Low Circuit Breaker Trip Threshold: 25mV
- No External Gate Capacitor Required
- Internal Charge Pump for N-Channel MOSFET
- Adjustable Output Power-Up Rate
- RESET and FAULT Output
- 10-Lead MSOP and 12-Lead (4mm × 3mm) DFN Packages
The LTC4216 is a positive low voltage Hot Swap™ controller that allows a board to be safely inserted and removed from a live backplane. It controls load voltages ranging from 0V to 6V and isolates a severe fault with instantaneous analog current limiting.
An internal high side switch driver controls the gate of an external N-channel MOSFET. An adjustable soft-start limits the rate of change of the inrush current at start-up for a large load capacitor. Together with an analog current limit amplifier, an electronic circuit breaker with adjustable response time provides dual level overcurrent protection. No external gate capacitor is required for the analog current limit loop compensation.
The FB pin monitors the output supply voltage and signals the RESET output pin. An ON pin provides on/off control and a FAULT pin indicates the fault status. The LTC4216 is available in the 10-lead MSOP and 12-lead (4mm × 3mm) DFN packages.
- Electronic Circuit Breaker
- Live Board Insertion and Removal
- Industrial High Side Switch/Circuit Breaker
- Optical Networking
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Tools & Simulations
LTspice® is a powerful, fast and free simulation software, schematic capture and waveform viewer with enhancements and models for improving the simulation of analog circuits.
Models for the following parts are available in LTspice:
Press Releases (1)
Product Selector Card (1)
LT Journal (1)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.