Features and Benefits
- Allows Safe Board Insertion and Removal from a Live Backplane
- Controls Supply Voltages from 2.5V to 16.5V
- Adjustable Soft-Start with Inrush Current Limiting
- Fast Turn-Off Time
- No External Gate Capacitor is Required
- Power Good Input with Adjustable Timer and Glitch Filter
- Power-Up Timeout Circuit Interfaces with External Supply Monitors
- Dual Level Overcurrent Fault Protection
- Automatic Retry or Latched Mode Operation
- High Side Drive for an External N-Channel FET
- MS10 Package
The LTC4212 is a Hot Swap™ controller that allows a board to be safely inserted and removed from a live backplane. An internal high side switch driver controls the gate of an external N-channel MOSFET for supply voltages ranging from 2.5V to 16.5V. The LTC4212 provides soft-start and inrush current limiting during the start-up period. It features a power-up timeout circuit that disconnects the system supply when the onboard supplies do not enter into regulation within an adjustable timeout period. The controller interfaces with external supply monitor ICs or directly with the PGOOD pin of a DC/DC converter. After normal power-up, a programmable power good glitch filter can be enabled to filter out short term dips in the supplies.
Two current limit comparators provide dual level overcurrent circuit breaker protection. The slow comparator trips at VCC – 50mV and activates in 18µs. The fast comparator trips at VCC – 150mV and typically responds in 500ns.
The LTC4212 can be configured for both latchoff and autoretry applications and is available in a 10-pin MSOP package.
- Electronic Circuit Breaker
- Hot Board Insertion and Removal
- Self-Isolating Hot Swap Boards
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.