Features and Benefits
- Allows Safe Board Insertion and Removal from a Live Backplane
- Controls Supply Voltage from 10.8V to 36V
- Foldback Current Limiting
- Open Circuit and Overcurrent Fault Detect
- Drives an External N-Channel MOSFET
- Automatic Retry or Latched Off Operation After Overcurrent Fault
- Programmable Supply Voltage Power-Up Rate
- Undervoltage and Overvoltage Protection
- Open MOSFET Detection
- Available in 16-Lead SSOP Package
The LT4254 is a high voltage Hot Swap™ controller that allows a board to be safely inserted and removed from a live backplane. An internal driver controls the high side N-channel MOSFET gate for supply voltages ranging from 10.8V to 36V. The part features an open-circuit detect (OPEN) output that indicates abnormally low load current conditions.
The LT4254 features an adjustable analog foldback current limit. If the supply remains in current limit for more than a programmable time, the N-channel MOSFET shuts off, the PWRGD output goes low and the LT4254 either automatically restarts after a time-out delay or latches off until the UV pin is cycled low. The RETRY pin sets whether the part will automatically restart after an overcurrent fault or if it will latch off until the UV pin is cycled low.
The PWRGD output indicates when the output voltage rises above a programmed level. An external resistor string from VCC provides programmable undervoltage and overvoltage protection.
- Hot Board Insertion
- Electronic Circuit Breaker/Power Bussing
- Industrial High Side Switch/Circuit Breaker
- 24V Industrial/Alarm Systems
- 12V and 24V Distributed Power Systems
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (1)
Product Selector Card (1)
Technical Articles (2)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.