Features and Benefits
- Dual-Channel CCFL Controllers for Backlighting LCD Panels and Instrument Clusters in Navigation/Infotainment Applications
- Minimal External Components Required
- I²C Interface
- Per-Channel Lamp-Fault Monitoring for Lamp-Open, Lamp-Overcurrent, Failure to Strike, and Overvoltage Conditions
- Status Register Reports Fault Conditions
- Accurate (±5%) Independent On-Board Oscillators for Lamp Frequency (40kHz to 100kHz) and DPWM Burst-Dimming Frequency (22.5Hz to 440Hz)
- Lamp and DPWM Frequencies can be Synchronized with External Sources to Reduce Visual LCD Artifacts in Video Applications
- Optional Spread-Spectrum Lamp Clock Reduces EMI
- Lamp Frequency can be Stepped Up or Down to Move EMI Spurs Out of Band
- Lamp Current Overdrive Mode with Automatic Turn-Off Quickly Warms Lamp in Cold Temperatures
- Analog and Digital Brightness Control
- 300:1 Dimming Range Possible Using the Digital Brightness Control Option
- Programmable Soft-Start Minimizes Audible Transformer Noise
- On-Board Nonvolatile (NV) Memory Allows Device Customization
- 8-Byte NV User Memory for Storage of Serial Numbers and Date Codes
- Low-Power Standby Mode
- 4.75V to 5.25V Single-Supply Operation
- Temperature Range: -40°C to +105°C
- 28-Pin TSSOP Package
The DS3882 is a dual-channel cold-cathode fluorescent lamp (CCFL) controller for applications that provides up to 300:1 dimming. It is ideal for driving CCFLs used to backlight liquid crystal displays (LCDs) in navigation and infotainment applications and for driving CCFLs used to backlight instrument clusters. The DS3882 is also appropriate for use in marine and aviation applications.
The DS3882 features EMI suppression functionality and provides a lamp current overdrive mode for rapid lamp heating in cold weather conditions. The DS3882 supports configurations of 1 or 2 lamps with fully independent lamp control and minimal external components. Multiple DS3882 controllers can be cascaded to support applications requiring more than 2 lamps. Control of the DS3882, after initial programming setup, can be completely achieved through I²C software communication. Many DS3882 functions are also pin-controllable if software control is not desired.
- Instrument Clusters
- Marine and Aviation LCDs
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Documentation & Resources
DS3882 Reliability Data1/12/2023
DS3882 Companion Parts
Recommended Related Parts
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.