Features and Benefits
- Complete E1, T1, or J1 line interface unit (LIU)
- Supports both long-haul and short-haul trunks
- Internal software-selectable receive-side termination for 75Ω/100Ω/120Ω
- 3.3V power supply
- 32-bit or 128-bit crystal-less jitter attenuator requires only a 2.048MHz master clock for both E1 and T1 with option to use 1.544MHz for T1
- Generates the appropriate line build-outs, with and without return loss, for E1 and DSX-1 and CSU line build-outs for T1
- AMI, HDB3, and B8ZS, encoding/decoding
- 16.384MHz, 8.192MHz, 4.096MHz, or 2.048MHz clock output synthesized to recovered clock
- Programmable monitor mode for receiver
- Loopbacks and PRBS pattern generation/detection with output for received errors
- Generates/detects in-band loop codes, 1 to 16 bits including CSU loop codes
- 8-bit parallel or serial interface with optional hardware mode
- Muxed and nonmuxed parallel bus supports Intel or Motorola
- Detects/generates blue (AIS) alarms
- NRZ/bipolar interface for TX/RX data I/O
- Transmit open-circuit detection
- Receive carrier loss (RCL) indication (G.775)
- High-Z state for TTIP and TRING
- 50mA (rms) current limiter
The DS21348 is a complete selectable E1 or T1 line interface unit (LIU) for short-haul and long-haul applications. Throughout the data sheet, J1 is represented wherever T1 exists. Receive sensitivity adjusts automatically to the incoming signal and can be programmed for 0dB to 12dB or 0dB to 43dB for E1 applications and 0dB to 30dB or 0dB to 36dB for T1 applications. The device can generate the necessary G.703 E1 waveshapes in 75Ω or 120Ω applications and DSX-1 line build-outs or CSU line build-outs of 0dB, -7.5dB, -15dB, and -22.5dB for T1 applications. The crystal-less on-board jitter attenuator requires only a 2.048MHz MCLK for both E1 and T1 applications (with the option of using a 1.544MHz MCLK in T1 applications). The jitter attenuator FIFO is selectable to either 32 bits or 128 bits in depth and can be placed in either the transmit or receive data paths. An X 2.048MHz output clock synthesized to RCLK is available for use as a backplane system clock (where n = 1, 2, 4, or 8).
The DS21348 has diagnostic capabilities such as loopbacks and PRBS pattern generation/detection. 16- bit loop-up and loop-down codes can be generated and detected. The device can be controlled through an 8-bit parallel muxed or nonmuxed port, serial port, or used in hardware mode. The device fully meets all of the latest E1 and T1 specifications including ANSI T1.403-1999, ANSI T1.408, AT&T TR 62411, ITU G.703, G.704, G.706, G.736, G.775, G.823, I.431, O.151, O.161, ETSI ETS 300 166, JTG.703, JTI.431, JJ-20.1, TBR12, TBR13, and CTR4.
Product Lifecycle Not Recommended for New Designs
This designates products ADI does not recommend broadly for new designs.
Documentation & Resources
DS21348 Reliability Data1/12/2023
Configuring Maxim LIUs Without a Microcontroller6/15/2005
DS33Z11 - Ethernet LAN To Unframed T1/E1 WAN Bridge12/22/2004
Power-Fault Protection Layout6/6/2003
DS2148/DS21348 Hardware Mode6/6/2003
Additional Pulse Amplitude Settings for DS2148, DS21348, DS21Q48, DS21Q348 and DS214483/21/2003
Using DS2148/DS21348 as Repeater5/29/2002
Telecom Application Notes Index8/10/2001
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
See our Ordering FAQs for answers to questions about online orders, payment options and more.
Buy Now Pricing
(**) Displayed Buy Now Price and Price Range is based on small quantity orders.
(*)The 1Ku list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.