Features and Benefits
- Dual, Audio Log Taper Potentiometers
- Low THD+N and Crosstalk
- ±7V Analog Supply (Independent of Digital Supply)
- 5V Digital Supply
- Potentiometer Settings Configurable as Nonvolatile or Volatile
- Zero-Crossing Detector Eliminates Switching Noise
- Two User-Configurable Attenuation Options
- Configuration Option 1: 63 Positions Provide 1dB Attenuation Steps from 0dB to -62dB Plus Mute
- Configuration Option 2: (Software-Compatible with the DS1808): 33 Positions Plus Mute as Follows
- Positions 012: 1dB per Step for 12 Steps
- Positions 1324: 2dB per Step for 12 Steps
- Positions 2532: 3dB per Step for 8 Steps
- I²C-Compatible Serial Interface
- Three Address Pins Allow Up to 8 Devices on I²C Bus
- 45kΩ Potentiometer End-to-End Resistance
- Industrial Temperature Range (-40°C to +85°C)
- 16-Pin TSSOP or SO Package
The DS1882 is a dual, nonvolatile (NV) digital potentiometer designed to operate in audio systems that accomodate up to ±7V signal levels. The potentiometer settings can be stored in EEPROM so that they are retained when the power is cycled. The DS1882 has separate supplies for the potentiometers (VCC) and the communication circuitry (VDD). For clickless/popless operation, a zero-crossing detector allows the wiper position to change when there is no voltage across the potentiometer. The DS1882 is also designed to minimize crosstalk, and the two digital potentiometers provide 0.5dB channel-to-channel matching to prevent volume differences between channels. Total harmonic distortion (THD) is also minimal as long as the wiper drives a high-impedance load.
Two attenuation configuration options provide optimum flexibility for the specific application. Configuration Option 1 provides 63 logarithmic tapered steps (0dB to -62dB, 1dB/step) plus a mute setting. Configuration Option 2 has 32 logarithmic steps plus mute and provides software compatibility with the DS1808. When Configuration Option 2 is used in combination with the 16-pin SO package, the DS1882 is both software and pin compatible with the DS1808 in 5V applications.
- Car Stereo
- Consumer Audio/Video
- Notebook and PC Audio
- Portable Audio Equipment
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Documentation & Resources
DS1882 Reliability Data1/12/2023
DS1882 Companion Parts
Recommended Related Parts
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
See our Ordering FAQs for answers to questions about online orders, payment options and more.
Buy Now Pricing
(**) Displayed Buy Now Price and Price Range is based on small quantity orders.
(*)The 1Ku list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.