Features and Benefits
- Completely Manages All Timekeeping Functions
- RTC Counts Seconds, Minutes, Hours, Date of the Month, Month, Day of the Week, and Year with Leap-Year Compensation Valid Up to 2100
- 56-Byte, Battery-Backed, General- Purpose RAM with Unlimited Writes
- Programmable Square-Wave Output Signal
- Surface-Mount Package with an Integrated Crystal (DS1338C) Saves Additional Space and Simplifies Design
- Interfaces with Most Microcontrollers
- I2C Serial Interface
- Low-Power Operation Extends Battery Backup Run Time
- Automatic Power-Fail Detect and Switch Circuitry
- -40°C to +85°C Industrial Temperature Range Supports Operation in a Wide Range of Applications
- Underwriters Laboratories (UL®) Recognized
The DS1338 serial real-time clock (RTC) is a low-power, full binary-coded decimal (BCD) clock/calendar plus 56 bytes of NV SRAM. Address and data are transferred serially through an I²C interface. The clock/calendar provides seconds, minutes, hours, day, date, month, and year information. The end of the month date is automatically adjusted for months with fewer than 31 days, including corrections for leap year. The clock operates in either the 24-hour or 12-hour format with AM/PM indicator. The DS1338 has a built-in power-sense circuit that detects power failures and automatically switches to the backup supply, maintaining time and date operation.
- Consumer Electronics (Set-Top Box, Digital Recording, Network Appliance)
- Handhelds (GPS, POS Terminal)
- Medical (Glucometer, Medicine Dispenser)
- Office Equipment (Fax/Printer, Copier)
- Other (Utility Meter, Vending Machine, Thermostat, Modem)
- Telecommunications (Router, Switcher, Server)
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Documentation & Resources
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
See our Ordering FAQs for answers to questions about online orders, payment options and more.
Buy Now Pricing
(**) Displayed Buy Now Price and Price Range is based on small quantity orders.
(*)The 1Ku list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.