Features and Benefits
- Mobile High-Definition Link (MHL) capable receiver
- High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) authentication and decryption support
- 75 MHz maximum pixel clock frequency, allowing HDTV formats up to 720p/1080i at 60 Hz
- High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) capable receiver
- HDCP authentication and decryption support
- 162 MHz maximum pixel clock frequency, allowing HDTV formats up to 1080p and display resolutions up to UXGA (1600 × 1200 at 60 Hz)
- Component video processor
- Any-to-any 3 × 3 color space conversion (CSC) matrix
- Contrast, brightness, hue, saturation video adjustment
- Timing adjustments controls for horizontal sync (HS)/vertical sync (VS)/data enable (DE) timing
- Serial digital audio output interface
- HDMI/MHL audio extraction support
- Advanced audio muting feature
- I2S-compatible, left justified and right justified audio output modes
- 8-channel TDM output mode available
- Mobile Industry Processor Interface (MIPI) Camera Serial Interface 2 (CSI-2) transmitter
- 4-lane transmitter with 4 lanes, 2 lanes, and 1 lane muxing options for HDMI/MHL/digital input port sources
- 8-bit digital input/output port
- 2-wire serial microprocessor unit (MPU) interface (I2C compatible)
- −40°C to +85°C temperature grade
- 100-ball, 9 mm × 9 mm, RoHS-compliant CSP_BGA package
- Qualified for automotive applications
- See data sheet for additional features
Product DetailsThe ADV7480 is a combined HDMI®/MHL® receiver targeted at connectivity enabled head units requiring a wired, uncompressed digital audio/video link from smartphones and other consumer electronics devices to support streaming and integration of cloud-based multimedia content and applications into an automotive infotainment system.
The ADV7480 MHL 2.1 capable receiver supports a maximum pixel clock frequency of 75 MHz, allowing resolutions up to 720p/1080i at 60 Hz in 24-bit mode. The ADV7480 features a link control bus (CBUS) that handles the link layer, translation layer, CBUS electrical discovery, and display data channel (DDC) commands. The implementation of the MHL sideband channel (MSC) commands by the system processor can be handled either by the I2C bus, or via a dedicated serial peripheral interface (SPI) bus. A dedicated interrupt pin (INTRQ3) is available to indicate that events related to CBUS have occurred.
The ADV7480 also features an enable pin (VBUS_EN) to dynamically enable or disable the output of a voltage regulator, which provides a 5 V voltage bus (VBUS) signal to the MHL source.
The ADV7480 HDMI capable receiver supports a maximum pixel clock frequency of 162 MHz, allowing HDTV formats up to 1080p, and display resolutions up to UXGA (1600 × 1200 at 60 Hz). The device integrates a consumer electronics control (CEC) controller that supports the capability discovery and control (CDC) feature. The HDMI input port has dedicated 5 V detect and Hot Plug™ assert pins.
The HDMI/MHL receiver includes an adaptive transition minimized differential signaling (TMDS) equalizer that ensures robust operation of the interface with long cables. The ADV7480 single receiver port is capable of accepting both HDMI and MHL electrical signals. Automatic detection between HDMI and MHL is achieved by using cable impedance detection through the CD_SENSE pin.
The ADV7480 contains a component processor (CP) that processes the video signals from the HDMI/MHL receiver. It provides features such as contrast, brightness, and saturation adjustments, as well as free run and timing adjustment controls for HS/VS/DE timing.
The ADV7480 features an 8-bit digital input/output port, supporting input and output video resolutions up to 720p/1080i in both the 8-bit interleaved 4:2:2 SDR and DDR modes.
To enable glueless interfacing of these video input sources to the latest generation of infotainment system on chips (SoCs), the ADV7480 features a MIPI® CSI-2 transmitter. The four-lane transmitter provides four data lanes, two data lanes, and one data lane muxing options, and can be used to output video from the HDMI receiver, the MHL receiver, and the digital input port.
The ADV7480 offers a flexible audio output port for audio data extracted from the MHL or HDMI streams. The HDMI/MHL receiver has advanced audio functionality, such as a mute controller that prevents audible extraneous noise in the audio output. Additionally, the ADV7480 can be set to output time division multiplexing (TDM) serial audio, which allows the transmission of eight multiplexed serial audio channels on a single audio output interface port.
The ADV7480 is programmed via a 2-wire, serial, bidirectional port (I2C compatible).
Fabricated in an advanced CMOS process, the ADV7480 is available in a 9 mm × 9 mm, RoHS-compliant, 100-ball CSP_BGA package and is specified over the −40°C to +85°C temperature range.
The ADV7480 is offered in automotive and industrial versions.
- Portable devices
- Automotive infotainment (head unit and rear seat
- HDMI repeaters and video switches
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Tools & Simulations
These are the required I2C writes for the ADV7481. The ADV7480 is a derivative of the ADV7481. These scripts therefore apply to the ADV7480, except for the Analog input CVBS scripts, the Analog input YC scripts, the Analog input YPbPr scripts, the Analog Input Fast Switch CVBS scripts, script 08-15 and script 08-16. An application requiring MHL must use the software driver.
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.