Features and Benefits
- Input voltage range: 2.3 V to 5.5 V
- One 1.2 A buck regulator
- Two 300 mA LDOs
- 20-lead, 4 mm × 4 mm LFCSP package
- Overcurrent and thermal protection
- Soft start
- Undervoltage lockout
- Buck key specifications
- Output voltage range: 0.8 V to 3.8 V
- Current mode topology for excellent transient response
- 3 MHz operating frequency
- Peak efficiency up to 96%
- Uses tiny multilayer inductors and capacitors
- Mode pin selects forced PWM or auto PWM/PSM modes
- 100% duty cycle low dropout mode
- LDOs key specifications
- Output voltage range: 0.8 V to 5.2 V
- Low VIN from 1.7 V to 5.5 V
- Stable with 2.2 μF ceramic output capacitors
- High PSRR
- Low output noise
- Low dropout voltage
- −40°C to +125°C junction temperature range
The ADP5040 combines one high performance buck regulator and two low dropout regulators (LDO) in a small 20-lead LFCSP to meet demanding performance and board space requirements.
The high switching frequency of the buck regulator enables the use of tiny multilayer external components and minimizes board space.
When the MODE pin is set to logic high, the buck regulator operates in forced pulse width modulation (PWM) mode. When the MODE pin is set to logic low, the buck regulator operates in PWM mode when the load is around the nominal value. When the load current falls below a predefined threshold the regulator operates in power save mode (PSM) improving the light-load efficiency. The low quiescent current, low dropout voltage, and wide input voltage range of the ADP5040 LDOs extend the battery life of portable devices. The ADP5040 LDOs maintain a power supply rejection greater than 60 dB for frequencies as high as 10 kHz while operating with a low headroom voltage.
Each regulator in the ADP5040 is activated by a high level on the respective enable pin. The output voltages of the regulators are programmed though external resistor dividers to address a variety of applications.
Markets and Technologies
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The evaluation board shown in Figure 1 in the user guide is configured for the ADP5040 (the assembly for the ADP5041 is not included), but the board can be used for evaluation of the ADP5041. The ADP5040 and ADP5041 have one step-down regulator and two low dropout (LDO) regulators (LDO1 and LDO2).
The evaluation board also allows the evaluation of supervisory functions for the ADP5041. The evaluation board is available in standard voltage options and it can be reconfigured to user specific voltage options by replacing the assembled resistor networks (R2/R3, R4/R5, and R9/R10) as shown in Figure 11 and Figure 12 in the user guide. Voltage monitoring can also be performed in the ADP5041, as shown in Figure 4 in the user guide.
Full details on the ADP5040 and ADP5041 are provided in the ADP5040 and ADP5041 data sheets available from Analog Devices, Inc., which must be consulted in conjunction with this evaluation board user guide.
Features & Benefits
- Full featured evaluation board for the ADP5040 or ADP5041
- Simple device measurements, including line and load regulation demonstrable with
- A single voltage supply
- A voltage meter
- A current meter
- Load resistors
- Easy access to external components
- Cascading options to supply LDO regulators from the buck
- Dedicated enable option for each channel
- Mode option to change bucks from PFM to PWM operation
- Voltage monitoring and watchdog for ADP5041
Tools & Simulations
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.