Features and Benefits
- Boost shunt controller
- Adjustable output voltage range: 4.5 V to 36 V
- Integrated boost shunt driver
- Programmable power detection threshold
- Buck regulator
- Input voltage range: 4.5 V to 36 V
- Continuous output current: 500 mA
- Adjustable output voltage down to 0.6 V
- Fixed output options: 3.3 V and 5 V
- 1.2 MHz fixed switching frequency
- Voltage monitoring and open-drain reset output
- 4 programmable gain amplifiers
- Low power consumption
- Programmable gain and output dc common voltage
- Low offset operation amplifier for leakage and grounding fault current detection
- Analog trip circuit with programmable trip threshold
- Actuator driver output
The ADP2450 integrates one boost shunt controller with power detection, one high efficiency buck regulator, four low offset, low power consumption programmable gain amplifiers (PGAs), one low offset operation amplifier, a fast analog trip circuit, and an actuator driver. The ADP2450 is targeted for low voltage circuit breakers, such as the molded case circuit breaker (MCCB), and current transformer (CT) powered supply applications.
The boost output voltage can be up to 36 V and integrates a power detection circuit that prevents the circuit from power hiccups. The power detection threshold is programmable with resistors.
The buck regulator operates over a wide input voltage range of 4.5 V to 36 V, and the output voltage can be adjusted down to 0.6 V. The buck regulator provides output currents of up to 500 mA. The buck regulator works in pulse-width modulation (PWM) mode with a fixed 1.2 MHz switching frequency, providing low output ripple voltage to the system.
The output voltage of the buck regulator is monitored by the supervisory circuit. When the output voltage is below the monitoring threshold, 88% of VFB2 (FB2 regulation voltage), the reset signal is pulled low and can be used to reset the microprocessor. The monitoring supervisory circuit makes the system more reliable.
The ADP2450 integrates four low offset, low power consumption amplifiers. With the programmable gain features, the ADP2450 provides accuracy measurement over a wide current input range based on the CT turn ratio.
A low offset operation amplifier is integrated in the ADP2450 for leakage current detection.
The ADP2450 also integrates an analog trip circuit, which provides fast trip response and enhances system reliability.
Additional protection includes buck overcurrent protection (OCP) and system thermal shutdown (TSD).
The ADP2450 operates over the −40°C to +125°C junction temperature range and is available either in a 32-lead LFCSP or a 48-lead LQFP packages.
- Low voltage circuit breaker
- CT powered supply
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The ADP2450ACPZ-3-EVBZ evaluation board provides a complete and compact solution that allows users to evaluate the performance of the ADP2450 with a near ideal printed circuit board (PCB) layout. The evaluation board is compatible with current transformer (CT) or ac current source as its input power source.
The main device on the evaluation board, the ADP2450, integrates a boost shunt controller with power detection, a high efficiency buck regulator, four low offset and low power consumption programmable gain amplifiers (PGAs), a low offset operation amplifier, a fast analog trip circuit, and an actuator driver.
With an external microcontroller unit (MCU) connected, the evaluation board is suitable for quick system evaluation of circuit breaker applications.
Full details on the ADP2450 are provided in the ADP2450 data sheet, available from Analog Devices, Inc. Consult the data sheet in conjunction with this user guide when working with the ADP2450ACPZ-3-EVBZ.
Features & Benefits
- Full featured evaluation board for the ADP2450
- Compact solution size
- 4-layer high TG PCB for superior thermal performance
- Connections through vertical printed circuit tail pin headers
- Compatible with ac current source input or CT input
- Support single coil and dual coil application
- Adjustable output for buck regulator
- On-board precision reference
- On-board PGA gain setting
- Supports analog trip function
- Supports power detection function
- Voltage monitor and reset output
- Flexible connection with external MCU
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.