Features and Benefits
- Small, 2 mm × 1.5 mm, 12-ball WLCSP package
- Smallest footprint, 1 mm height, 1 μH power inductor
- LED current source for local LED grounding
Simplified routing to/from LED Improved LED thermals
- Synchronous 3 MHz PWM boost converter, no external diode
- Reduces high levels of input battery current during flash
- Limits battery current drain in torch mode
- Currents up to 1500 mA in flash mode for one LED with ±7% accuracy over all conditions
- Currents up to 200 mA in torch mode
- Programmable dc battery current limit (4 settings)
- Programmable flash timer up to 1600 ms
- Low VBAT mode to reduce LED current automatically
- 4-bit ADC for LED VF, die/LED temperature readback
- See data sheet for additional features
The ADP1650 is a very compact, highly efficient, single white LED flash driver for high resolution camera phones that improves picture and video quality in low light environments. The device integrates a programmable 1.5 MHz or 3 MHz synchronous inductive boost converter, an I2C-compatible interface, and a 1500 mA current source. The high switching frequency enables the use of a tiny, 1 mm high, low cost, 1 μH power inductor, and the current source permits LED cathode grounding for thermally enhanced, low EMI, and compact layouts.
The LED driver maximizes efficiency over the entire battery voltage range to maximize the input-power-to-LED-power conversion and to minimize battery current draw during flash events. A programmable dc battery current limit safely maximizes LED current for all LED VF and battery voltage conditions.
Two independent TxMASK inputs permit the flash LED current and battery current to reduce quickly during a power amplifier current burst. The I2C-compatible interface enables the pro-grammability of timers, currents, and status bit readback for operation monitoring and safety control.
The ADP1650 comes in a compact 12-ball, 0.5 mm pitch WLCSP package and operates within specification over the full −40°C to +125°C junction temperature range.Applications
- Camera-enabled cellular phones and smart phones
- Digital still cameras, camcorders, and PDAs
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The evaluation system is composed of a motherboard, daughter-board, and LED subboard. The motherboard provides the I2C signals from the PC USB port and generates the I/O voltages and digital high and low signals for the daughterboard. For overtemperature measurement, the daughterboard can be either plugged directly into the motherboard or connected to the motherboard via a ribbon cable.
The motherboard features a 3.3 V regulator and 2.8 V/1.8 V regulators for VDDIO. The daughterboard contains jumpers and test points for easy evaluation of the flash driver integrated circuit (IC).
Software & Systems Requirements
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.