Features and Benefits
- Two integrated zero drift, rail-to-rail, chop amplifiers
- TEC voltage and current operation monitoring
- Programmable TEC maximum voltage and current
- Programmable TEC current heating and cooling limits
- Configurable PWM switching frequency up to 1 MHz
- Power efficiency: > 90%
- Temperature lock indication
- Optional internal or external clock source
- Clock phase adjustment for multiple drop operation
- Supports negative temperature coefficient (NTC) thermistors or positive temperature coefficient (PTC) resistance thermal detectors (RTDs)
- 5 V typical and optional 3 V supplies
- Standby and shutdown mode availability
- Adjustable soft start feature
- 5 mm × 5 mm 32-lead LFCSP
The ADN88311 is a monolithic TEC controller. It has two integrated, zero drift, rail-to-rail comparators, and a PWM driver. A unique PWM driver works with an analog driver to control external selected MOSFETs in an H-bridge. By sensing the thermal detector feedback from the TEC, the ADN8831 can drive a TEC to settle the programmable temperature of a laser diode or a passive component attached to the TEC module.
The ADN8831 supports NTC thermistors or positive temperature coefficient (PTC) RTDs. The target temperature is set as an analog voltage input either from a DAC or from an external resistor divider driven by a reference voltage source.
A proportional integral differential (PID) compensation network helps to quickly and accurately stabilize the ADN8831 thermal control loop. An adjustable PID compensation network example is described in the AN-695 Application Note, Using the ADN8831TEC Controller Evaluation Board. A typical reference voltage of 2.5 V is available from the ADN8831 for thermistor temperature sensing or for TEC voltage/current measuring and limiting in both cooling and heating modes.
- Thermoelectric cooler (TEC) temperature control
- DWDM optical transceiver modules
- Optical fiber amplifiers
- Optical networking systems
- Instruments requiring TEC temperature control
1 Product is covered by U.S. Patent No. 6,486,643
Markets and Technologies
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (1)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.
Pricing displayed is based on 1-piece.
Up to two boards can be purchased through Analog.com. To order more than two, please purchase through one of our listed distributors.