Features and Benefits
- 5.7 kV rms (8000 VPEAK) signal isolated CAN transceiver
- 1.7 V to 5.5 V supply range for VDD1
- 4.5 V to 5.5 V supply range for VDD2
- ISO 11898-2: 2016 compliant (CAN flexible data rate, CAN-FD)
- Data rates up to 12 Mbps for CAN-FD
- Low loop propagation delay of 145 ns max
- Extended common-mode range of ±25 V
- Bus fault protection (CANH, CANL) of ±40 V
- Low power standby supporting remote wake request
- Extra isolated signal for control (for example, termination switches)
- Slope control for reduced EMI
- Safety and regulatory approvals (pending)
- VDE Certificate of Conformity, VDE 0884-11
- VIORM = 849 VPEAK
- VIOSM = 8000 VPEAK (Test: VPEAK = 12.8 kV)
- UL: 5700 V rms for 1 minute per UL1577
- CSA Component Acceptance 5A at 5 kV rms
- IEC 60950, IEC 61010
- VDE Certificate of Conformity, VDE 0884-11
- 8.3 mm creepage/clearance with 16-lead SOIC package
- High common-mode transient immunity: ≥75 kV/µs
- Industrial temperature range: −40°C to +125°C
The ADM3056E is a 5.7 kV rms isolated controller area network (CAN) physical layer transceiver. The ADM3056E fully meets the CAN-FD ISO 11898-2: 2016 requirements and is further capable of supporting data rates as high as 12 Mbps.
The device employs Analog Devices, Inc., iCoupler® technology to combine a highly robust 3-channel isolator and a CAN transceiver into a single SOIC, surface-mount package. The ADM3056E provides galvanic isolation between the CAN controller and physical layer bus.
Safety and regulatory approvals (pending) for 5.7 kV rms isolation withstand voltage, 849 VPEAK working insulation voltage, 8 kV surge, and 8.3 mm creepage and clearance, ensure that the ADM3056E meets isolation requirements for high voltage applications.
Low propagation delays through the isolation support longer bus cables. Slope control mode is available for standard CAN at low data rates. Standby mode can minimize power consumption when the bus is idle, or if the node goes offline. Silent mode allows the TXD input to be ignored for listen only functionality.
Dominant timeout functionality protects against bus lock-up in a fault condition, and current limiting and thermal shutdown features protect against output short circuits. The device is fully specified over the −40°C to +125°C industrial temperature range and is available in a 16-lead, increased creepage, wide-body SOIC package.
- CANOpen, DeviceNet, and other CAN bus implementations
- Solar inverters and battery management
- Motor and process control
- Industrial automation
- Transport and infrastructure
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The EVAL-ADM3056EEBZ evaluation board allows the user to evaluate the ADM3056E isolated signal transceiver for controller area network (CAN) or CAN with flexible data rate (CAN FD) networks. The EVAL-ADM3056EEBZ allows all of the input and output functions to work without the need for external components.
Based on the Analog Devices, Inc., iCoupler® technology, the ADM3056E integrates logic side on-off keying (OOK) signal isolation channels and a 12 Mbps CAN FD transceiver.
The EVAL-ADM3056EEBZ comes populated with the ADM3056E.
Full specifications of the ADM3056E can be found in the ADM3056E data sheet, and must be consulted in conjunction with this user guide when using the EVAL-ADM3056EEBZ. Refer to the AN-1123 Application Note for more information on CAN protocol implementation.
Features & Benefits
- ADM3056E 12 Mbps isolated CAN FD transceiver
- On-board LDOs for 6 V to 9 V supply, providing 5 V to the ADM3056E VDD1 pin and VDD2 pin
- Screw terminal connectors for the following:
- 6 V to 9 V LDO, 5 V power supply to the VDD1 pin
- 1.7 V to 5.5 V direct power supply to VDD1 pin
- 6 V to 9 V LDO, 5 V power supply to the VDD2 pin
- 4.5 V to 5.5V direct power supply to VDD2 pin
- TXD pin, RXD pin, STBY pin, SILENT pin, AUXIN pin, AUXOUT pin, RS pin, CANH pin, and CANL pin signals
- Divided PCB power and return planes
- SMA connectors for TXD pin and RXD pin signals
Tools & Simulations
Solutions Bulletins & Brochures (1)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.