Features and Benefits
- 5.7 kV rms signal isolated CAN FD transceiver
- 1.7 V to 5.5 V supply and logic side levels
- 4.5 V to 5.5 V supply on bus side
- ISO 11898-2:2016-compliant CAN FD
- Data rates up to 12 Mbps for CAN FD
- Low maximum loop propagation delay: 150 ns
- Extended common-mode range: ±25 V
- Bus fault protection (CANH, CANL): ±40 V
- Passes EN 55022, Class B by 6 dB
- Safety and regulatory approvals
- VDE certificate of conformity, VDE V 0884-10 (pending)
- UL: 5700 V rms for 1-minute duration per UL 1577 (pending)
- CSA component acceptance 5A at 5.7 kV rms
- IEC 60950, IEC 61010 (pending)
- High common-mode transient immunity: >75 kV/µs
- Industrial operating temperature range: −40°C to +125°C
ADM3050E-EP Supports defense and aerospace applications (AQEC standard)
The ADM3050E is a 5.7 kV rms isolated controller area network (CAN) physical layer transceiver with a high performance, basic feature set. The ADM3050E fully meets the CAN flexible data rate (CAN FD) ISO 11898-2:2016 requirements and is further capable of supporting data rates as high as 12 Mbps.
The device employs Analog Devices, Inc., iCoupler® technology to combine a 2-channel isolator and a CAN transceiver into a single small outline integrated circuit (SOIC) surface-mount package. The ADM3050E is a fully isolated solution for CAN and CAN FD applications. The ADM3050E provides isolation between the CAN controller and physical layer bus. Safety and regulatory approvals (pending) for a 5.7 kV rms withstand voltage, an 849 VPEAK working voltage, and a 12.8 kV surge test, ensure that the ADM3050E meets application isolation requirements.
Low loop propagation delays and the extended common-mode range of ±25 V support robust communication on longer bus cables. Dominant timeout functionality protects against bus lock up in a fault condition, and current limiting and thermal shutdown features protect against output short circuits. The CAN bus input and output pins are protected to ±40 V against accidental connection to a +24 V bus supply. The device is fully specified over the −40°C to +125°C industrial temperature range.
- CANOpen, DeviceNet, and other CAN bus implementations
- Industrial automation
- Process control and building control
- Transport and infrastructure
Markets & Technology
- Instrumentation & Measurement
Industrial Automation Technology (IAT)
- Building Technology
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The EVAL-ADM3050EEBZ allows the user to evaluate the ADM3050E isolated signal and power transceiver for controller area network (CAN) or CAN with flexible data rate (CAN FD) networks. The EVAL-ADM3050EEBZ allows all of the input and output functions to work without the need for external components.
Based on the Analog Devices, Inc., iCoupler® technology, the ADM3050E integrates logic side on-off keying (OOK) signal isolation channels and an Analog Devices isoPower® dc-to-dc converter to provide regulated, isolated power that is well below CISPR22/EN55022 Class B limits when transmitting on a 2-layer printed circuit board (PCB) with ferrites.
The EVAL-ADM3050EEBZ comes populated with an ADM3050E.
Full specifications of the ADM3050E can be found in the ADM3050E data sheet, available from Analog Devices, Inc., and must be consulted in conjunction with this user guide when using the EVAL-ADM3050EEBZ.
Features & Benefits
- ADM3050E with isoPower integrated, isolated, dc-to-dc converter
- 2-layer PCB with low radiated emissions, passes CISPR22/EN55022 Class B
- On-board LDO for 6 V to 9 V supply, providing 5 V to the ADM3050E VCC pin
- Screw terminal connectors for the following:
- 6 V to 9 V LDO, 5 V power supply to the VCC pin and the VIO pin
- 5 V direct power supply to VCC pin
- 1.8 V to 5.0 V direct power supply to the VIO pin
- TXD pin, RXD pin, STBY pin, SILENT pin, AUXIN pin, AUXOUT pin, and RS pin signals
- Divided PCB return planes for GND1 and GND2
- SMA connectors for TXD pin and RXD pin signals
Solutions Bulletins & Brochures (1)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.