Features and Benefits
- White LED driver based on inductive boost converter
Integrated 50 V MOSFET with 2.9 A peak current limit
Input voltage range: 6 V to 21 V
Maximum output adjustable up to 45 V
- 350 kHz to 1 MHz adjustable operating frequency
- Built-in soft start for boost converter
- Drives up to eight LED current sources
LED current adjustable up to 30 mA for each channel
Headroom control to maximize efficiency
Adjustable output dimming frequency: 200 Hz to 10 kHz
LED open/short fault protection
- Other LED current
Selectable brightness control interface modes
SMBus serial interface
- Selectable dimming controls
Fixed delay PWM dimming control with 8-bit resolution
No delay PWM dimming control with 8-bit resolution
Phase shift PWM dimming control with 8-bit resolution
- Selectable dimming controls
Direct PWM dimming control
DC current dimming mode with 8-bit resolution
28-lead, 4 mm × 4 mm LFCSP
Product DetailsThe ADD5201 is a white LED driver for backlight applications based on high efficiency, current mode, step-up converter tech-nology. It is designed with a 0.15 Ω, 2.9 A internal switch and a pin adjustable operating frequency between 350 kHz and 1 MHz. The ADD5201 contains eight regulated current sources for uniform brightness intensity. Each current source can be driven up to 30 mA.
The ADD5201 drives up to eight parallel strings of multiple series connected LEDs with a ±1.5% current regulation accuracy. The device provides an adjustable LED driving current up to 30 mA for each channel by an external resistor. The ADD5201 provides various brightness control methods. The LED dimming control can be achieved through SMBus and/or pulse-width modulation (PWM) input. Each dimming mode is selectable with two external dimming mode selection pins. The device pro-vides a pin adjustable output dimming frequency range from 200 Hz to 10 kHz.
The ADD5201 operates over an input voltage range of 6 V to 21 V, but the device can function with a voltage as low as 5.4 V. The ADD5201 has multiple safety protection features to prevent damage during fault conditions. If any LED is open or short, the device automatically disables the faulty current regulator. The internal soft start prevents inrush current during startup. A thermal shutdown protection prevents thermal damage.
The ADD5201 is available in a low profile, thermally enhanced, 4 mm × 4 mm × 0.75 mm, 28-lead, RoHS compliant lead frame chip scale package (LFCSP) and is specified over the industrial temperature range of −25°C to +85°C.
- Notebook PCs, UMPCs, and monitor displays
Product Lifecycle Not Recommended for New Designs
This designates products ADI does not recommend broadly for new designs.
Evaluation Kits (1)
ADD5203CP-EVALZ is the ADD5201/3 driver board and the 8 channel LED board.
ADD5203EB-EVALZ is just the ADD5201/3 driver board.
Features & BenefitsLED driver with integrated inductive boost converter
- Integrated 50V MOSFET with 2.9A peak current limit
- 6 V to 21 V input voltage range (easily increased with external Zener diode).
- 350kHz to 1 MHz adjustable operating frequency
- Built-in soft start
- Overvoltage protection programmable up to 47.5V
- Easily combine current sinks for up to 240mA of total LED Current.
- 40 μA (typ) shutdown Iq
- LED current adjustable up to 30mA for each channel
- ± 1.5% matching, ± 3% accuracy
- DC current level brightness control with PWM input
- Headroom control to maximize efficiency
- LED open fault protection
- PWM Input Control or SMBus Digital Input
- Fixed Delay PWM Dimming with 8 bit resolution
- No Delay PWM Dimming with 8 bit resolution
- Direct PWM Dimming control
- DC Current Dimming with 8 bit resolution
- Phase Shift PWM Dimming with 8 bit resolution
- (ADD5201 only)
- Open LED Protection
- Shorted LED Protection
- Overvoltage Protection
- Thermal shutdown
- Under Voltage Lock Out (UVLO)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.