Features and Benefits
- Any output frequency precision synthesis
- 11.8 MHz to 919 MHz
- Better than 0.1 ppb frequency resolution
- Ultralow rms jitter (12 kHz to 20 MHz)
- <300 fs rms using integer synthesis
- <405 fs rms using fractional synthesis
- Dual reference inputs support LVPECL, LVDS, 1.8 V LVCMOS, or fundamental mode AT cut crystals from 22 MHz to 54 MHz or reference clocks from 20 MHz to 60 MHz
- Numerical (NCO) frequency control
- Dynamically pullable output frequency enables FPGAbased PLLs (HDL available)
- Fast serial peripheral interface (SPI) bus write speeds up to 100 MHz
- On-the-fly frequency changes
- Dual PLL in compact 7 mm × 7 mm package
- Replaces multiple large clock ICs, PLLs, fanout buffers, crystal oscillators (XOs), and voltage controlled crystal oscillators (VCXOs)
- Mix and match output buffers
- In-circuit programmable LVPECL/LVDS/HCSL/LVCMOS
- Independent buffer (VDDOx) drives multiple technologies
- Enhanced power supply noise rejection
The AD9578 is a programmable synthesizer intended for jitter attenuation and asynchronous clocking applications in high performance telecommunications, networking, data storage, serializer/deserializer (SERDES), and physical layer (PHY) applications. The device incorporates two low jitter PLLs that provide any frequency with precision better than 0.1 ppb, each with two separate output dividers, for a total of four programmable outputs, delivering maximum flexibility and jitter performance. Each output is independently programmable to provide frequen-cies of up to 919 MHz with <410 fs typical rms jitter (12 kHz to 20 MHz) utilizing compact, low cost fundamental mode crystals (XTALs) that enable a robust supply chain. Using integer frequency synthesis, the AD9578 is capable of achieving rms jitter as low as 290 fs.
The AD9578 is packaged with a factory programmed default power-on configuration. After power-on, all settings including output frequency are reconfigurable through a fast SPI.
The AD9578 architecture permits it to be used as a numerically controlled oscillator (NCO). This allows the user to dynamically change the frequency using the fast SPI bus. FPGAs and other devices can take advantage of this function to implement digital PLLs with configurable loop bandwidths for jitter attenuation applications, precision disciplined clocks that lock to tight stability references, or digitally controlled precision timing applications, such as network timing and IEEE 1588 applications. The SPI bus can operate up to 50 MHz, enabling fast FPGA loops while multiple devices share the same bus. The AD9578 can also be used in multirate precision applications, such as broadcast video or OTN. HDL FPGA code for digital PLL applications is available from Analog Devices, Inc.
- FPGA-based jitter attenuators and low jitter PLLs
- Precision disciplined clocks and clock synthesizers
- Multirate clock synthesizers
- Optical: OTN/SDH/SONET
- Broadcast video: 3G SDI, HD SDI, SDI
- Networking and storage: Ethernet/SAS/Fibre Channel
- Wireless infrastructure: OBSAI/CPRI
- Industrial: IEEE 1588
- Numerically controlled oscillators (NCOs)
Product Lifecycle Last Time Buy
All products in this family will be obsolete soon. Please contact ADI Sales or Distributors to arrange for final purchases and read our Obsolescence Information to review the time periods for placing final orders and receiving final shipments.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The AD9578 evaluation board is a compact, easy-to-use platform for evaluating all features of the AD9578 clock synthesizer.
Features & Benefits
- Simple power connection using 6 V wall adapter and on-board voltage regulators
- Prepopulated 49.152MHz XTAL to synthesize any frequency 11.8MHz – 919MHz
- 2 reference input SMA connectors
- 10 ac-coupled differential SMA output connectors (5 differential paths)
- USB connection to PC
- Microsoft Windows-based evaluation software with simple graphical user interface (supports 64-bit versions of Windows)
Documentation & Resources
AD9578 Evaluation Board User Guide2/8/2021
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.View our quality and reliability program and certifications for more information.
|Part Number||Material Declaration||Reliability Data||Pin/Package Drawing||CAD Symbols, Footprints & 3D Models|
|AD9578BCPZ||Material Declaration||Reliability Data||48-Lead LFCSP (7mm x 7mm x 0.75mm w/ EP)|
|AD9578BCPZ-REEL7||Material Declaration||Reliability Data||48-Lead LFCSP (7mm x 7mm x 0.75mm w/ EP)|
|Wafer Fabrication Data|
Select a model from the dropdown below to subscribe to PCN/PDN notifications and view past notifications as well.
Sample & Buy
See our Ordering FAQs for answers to questions about online orders, payment options and more.
Buy Now Pricing
(**) Displayed Buy Now Price and Price Range is based on small quantity orders.
(*)The 1Ku list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Please see the latest communication from our CCO regarding lead times.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.
Pricing displayed is based on 1-piece.
Up to two boards can be purchased through Analog.com. To order more than two, please purchase through one of our listed distributors.
Pricing displayed is based on 1-piece. The USA list pricing shown is for budgetary use only, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit), and is subject to change. International prices may vary due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates.