Features and Benefits
- Fast throughput rate: 100 kSPS
- Specified for VDD of 2.5 V to 5.5 V
- Low power
4 mW typ at 100 kSPS with 3 V supplies
17 mW typ at 100 kSPS with 5 V supplies
- Wide input bandwidth:
81 dB SINAD at 10 kHz input frequency
- Flexible power/serial clock speed management
- No pipeline delays
- High speed serial interface
- SPI®/QSPI™/MICROWIRE™/DSP compatible
- Standby mode: 0.5 μA max
- 6-Lead SOT-23 and 8-Lead MSOP packages
- 6-Lead SOT-23 and 8-Lead MSOP packages
- Standby Mode: 0.5 µA max
The AD79401 is a 14-bit, fast, low power, successive approximation ADC. The part operates from a single 2.50 V to 5.5 V power supply and features throughput rates up to 100 kSPS. The part contains a low noise, wide bandwidth track-and-hold amplifier that can handle input frequencies in excess of 7 MHz.
The conversion process and data acquisition are controlled using CS and the serial clock, allowing the devices to interface with microprocessors or DSPs. The input signal is sampled on the falling edge of CS and the conversion is also initiated at this point. There are no pipelined delays associated with the part.
The AD7940 uses advanced design techniques to achieve very low power dissipation at fast throughput rates. The reference for the part is taken internally from VDD, which allows the widest dynamic input range to the ADC. Thus, the analog input range for this part is 0 V to VDD. The conversion rate is determined by the SCLK frequency.
This part features a standard successive approximation ADC with accurate control of the sampling instant via a CS input and once off conversion control.
- First 14-bit ADC in a SOT-23 package.
- High throughput with low power consumption.
- Flexible power/serial clock speed management. The conversion rate is determined by the serial clock, allowing the conversion time to be reduced through the serial clock speed increase. This allows the average power consumption to be reduced when a power-down mode is used while not converting. The part also features a shutdown mode to maximize power efficiency at lower throughput rates. Power consumption is 0.5 µA max when in shutdown.
- Reference derived from the power supply.
- No pipeline delay.
- Battery-powered systems
- Personal digital assistants
- Medical instruments
- Mobile communications
- Instrumentation and control systems
- Remote data acquisition systems
Markets and Technologies
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The EVAL-AD7942SDZ is a fully featured evaluation kit for the AD7942. This board operates in stand alone mode or in conjunction with the System Development Platform, EVAL-SDP-CB1Z . When operated with the System Development Platform software is provided enabling the user to perform detailed analysis of the ADC's performance. This software includes the technical note describing the operation and set up of the evaluation board in standalone operation or when operated with the System Development Platform . When operated in standalone mode the ADZS-BRKOUT-EX3 break out board is recommended for access to various control pins.
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.