Features and Benefits
- Two Fast 12-Bit ADCs
- Four Input Channels
- Simultaneous Sampling & Conversion
- 4 µs Throughput Time
- Single Supply Operation
- High Speed Parallel Interface
- Low Power, 60 mW typ
- Selection of Input Ranges:
±10 V for AD7862-10
±2.5 V for AD7862-3
0 V to 2.5 V for AD7862-2
- Power Saving Mode, 50 µW typ
- Overvoltage Protection on Analog Inputs
- 14-Bit Pin Compatible Upgrade (AD7863)
The AD7862 is a high speed, low power, dual 12-bit A/D converter that operates from a single +5 V supply. The part contains two 4 µs successive approximation ADCs, two track/ hold amplifiers, an internal +2.5 V reference and a high speed parallel interface. There are four analog inputs that are grouped into two channels (A & B) selected by the A0 input. Each channel has two inputs (VA1 & VA2 or VB1 & VB2) that can be sampled and converted simultaneously thus preserving the relative phase information of the signals on both analog inputs. The part accepts an analog input range of ±10 V (AD7862-10), ±2.5 V (AD7862-3) and 02.5 V (AD7862-2). Overvoltage protection on the analog inputs for the part allows the input voltage to go to ±17 V, ±7 V or +7 V, respectively, without causing damage.
A single conversion start signal (CONVST) places both track/ holds into hold simultaneously and initiates conversion on both inputs. The BUSY signal indicates the end of conversion, and at this time the conversion results for both channels are available to be read. The first read after a conversion accesses the result from VA1 or VB1, while the second read accesses the result from VA2 or VB2, depending on whether the multiplexer select A0 is low or high, respectively. Data is read from the part via a 12-bit parallel data bus with standard CS and RD signals.
In addition to the traditional dc accuracy specifications such as linearity, full-scale and offset errors, the part is also specified for dynamic performance parameters including harmonic distortion and signal-to-noise ratio.
The AD7862 is fabricated in Analog Devices' Linear Compatible CMOS (LC2MOS) process, a mixed technology process that combines precision bipolar circuits with low power CMOS logic. It is available in 28-lead SSOP, SOIC and DIP.
- AC Motor Control
- Uninterrupted Power Supplies
- Data Acquisition Systems
- The AD7862 features two complete ADC functions allowing simultaneous sampling and conversion of two channels. Each ADC has a 2-channel input mux. The conversion result for both channels is available 3.6 µs after initiating conversion.
- The AD7862 operates from a single +5 V supply and consumes 60 mW typ. The automatic power-down mode, where the part goes into power down once conversion is complete and “wakes up” before the next conversion cycle, makes the AD7862 ideal for battery-powered or portable applications.
- The part offers a high speed parallel interface for easy connection to microprocessors, microcontrollers and digital signal processors.
- The part is offered in three versions with different analog input ranges. The AD7862-10 offers the standard industrial input range of ±10 V; the AD7862-3 offers the common signal processing input range of ±2.5 V; while the AD7862-2 can be used in unipolar 0 V – +2.5 V applications.
- The part features very tight aperture delay matching between the two input sample-and-hold amplifiers.
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.