Features and Benefits
- 8-bit half-flash ADC with 420 ns conversion time
- 1, 4 and 8 Single-Ended Analog Input Channels Available with Input Offset Adjust
- On-Chip Track-and-Hold
- SNR Performance Given for Input Frequencies Up to 10 MHz
- Automatic Power-Down at the End of Conversion
- On-Chip Reference (2.5 V)
- Wide Operating Supply Range
3 V ± 10% and 5 V ± 10%
- Input Ranges:
0 V to 2 Vp-p, VDD = 3 V ± 10%
0 V to 2.5 Vp-p, VDD = 5 V ± 10%
- Flexible Parallel Interface with EOC Pulse to Allow Stand-Alone Operation
The AD7822 / AD7825 / AD7829 are high speed, 1-, 4-, and 8-channel, microprocessor-compatible, 8-bit analog-to-digital converters with a maximum throughput of 2 MSPS. The AD7822 / AD7825 / AD7829 contain an on-chip reference of 2.5 V (2% tolerance); a track-and-hold amplifier; a 420 ns, 8-bit half-flash ADC; and a high speed parallel interface. The converters can operate from a single 3 V ± 10% and 5 V ± 10% supply.
The AD7822/AD7825/AD7829 combine the convert start and power-down functions at one pin, that is, the CONVST pin. This allows a unique automatic power-down at the end of a conversion to be implemented. The logic level on the CONVST pin is sampled after the end of a conversion when an EOC (end of conversion) signal goes high. If it is logic low at that point, the ADC is powered down. The AD7822 and AD7825 also have a separate power-down pin (see the Operating Modes section).
The parallel interface is designed to allow easy interfacing to microprocessors and DSPs. Using only address decoding logic, the parts are easily mapped into the microprocessor address space. The EOC pulse allows the ADCs to be used in a stand-alone manner (see the Parallel Interface section.)
The AD7822 and AD7825 are available in 20-lead and 24-lead, 0.3" wide, plastic dual in-line packages (PDIP); 20-lead and 24-lead standard small outline packages (SOIC); and 20-lead and 24-lead thin shrink small outline packages (TSSOP). The AD7829 is available in a 28-lead, 0.6" wide PDIP; a 28-lead SOIC; and a 28-lead TSSOP.
- Fast Conversion Time. The AD7822 / AD7825 / AD7829 have a conversion time of 420 ns. Faster conversion times maximize the DSP processing time in a real-time system.
- Analog Input Span Adjustment. The VMID pin allows the user to offset the input span. This feature can reduce the requirements of single-supply op amps and take into account any system offsets.
- FPBW (Full Power Bandwidth) of Track-and-Hold. The track-and-hold amplifier has an excellent high frequency performance. The AD7822 / AD7825 / AD7829 are capable of converting full-scale input signals up to a frequency of 10 MHz. This makes the parts ideally suited to subsampling applications.
- Channel Selection. Channel selection is made without the necessity of writing to the part.
- Data acquisition systems, DSP front ends
- Disk drives
- Mobile communication systems, subsampling applications
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Documentation & Resources
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
See our Ordering FAQs for answers to questions about online orders, payment options and more.
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.