Features and Benefits
- AC and DC Characterized and Specified (K, B, T Grades)
- 128k Conversions per Second
- 1 MHz Full Power Bandwidth
- 80 dB S/N+D (K, B, T Grades)
- Twos Complement Data Format (Bipolar Mode)
- Straight Binary Data Format (Unipolar Mode)
- See datasheet for additional features
The AD779 is a complete, multipurpose 14-bit monolithic analog-to-digital converter, consisting of a sample-hold amplifier (SHA), a microprocessor compatible bus interface, a voltage reference and clock generation circuitry.
The AD779 is specified for ac (or “dynamic”) parameters such as S/N+D ratio, THD and IMD which are important in signal processing applications. In addition, the AD779K, B and T grades are fully specified for dc parameters which are important in measurement applications.
The 14 data bits are accessed by a 16-bit bus in a single read operation. Data format is straight binary for unipolar mode and twos complement binary for bipolar mode. The input has a full-scale range of 10 V with a full power bandwidth of 1 MHz and a full linear bandwidth of 500 kHz. High input impedance (10 MW) allows direct connection to unbuffered sources without signal degradation.
This product is fabricated on Analog Devices’ BiMOS process, combining low power CMOS logic with high precision, low noise bipolar circuits; laser-trimmed thin-film resistors provide high accuracy. The converter utilizes a recursive subranging algorithm which includes error correction and flash converter circuitry to achieve high speed and resolution.
The AD779 operates from +5 V and ±12 V supplies and dissipates 560 mW (typ). Twenty-eight-pin plastic DIP and ceramic DIP packages are available.
- COMPLETE INTEGRATION: The AD779 minimizes external component requirements by combining a high speed sample-hold amplifier (SHA), ADC, 5 V reference, clock and digital interface on a single chip. This provides a fully specified sampling A/D function unattainable with discrete designs.
- SPECIFICATIONS: The AD779K, B and T grades provide fully specified and tested ac and dc parameters. The AD779J, A and S grades are specified and tested for ac parameters; dc accuracy specifications are shown as typicals. DC specifications (such as INL, gain and offset) are important in control and measurement applications. AC specifications (such as S/N+D ratio, THD and IMD) are of value in signal processing applications.
- EASE OF USE: The pinout is designed for easy board layout, and the single cycle read output provides compatibility with 16-bit buses. Factory trimming eliminates the need for calibration modes or external trimming to achieve rated performance.
- RELIABILITY: The AD779 utilizes Analog Devices’ monolithic BiMOS technology. This ensures long term reliability compared to multichip and hybrid designs.
- The AD779 is available in versions compliant with MIL-STD-883. Refer to the Analog Devices Military Products Databook or current AD779/883B data sheet for detailed specifications.
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.