Features and Benefits
- Quad 64-position resolution
- 1 kΩ, 10 kΩ, 50 kΩ, 100 kΩ
- Nonvolatile memory stores wiper settings w/write protection
- Power-on refreshed to EEMEM settings in 300 μs typ
- EEMEM rewrite time = 540 μs typ
- Resistance tolerance stored in nonvolatile memory
- 12 extra bytes in EEMEM for user-defined information
- I2C-compatible serial interface
- Direct read/write access of RDAC and EEMEM registers
- Predefined linear increment/decrement commands
- Predefined ±6 dB step change commands
- Synchronous or asynchronous quad-channel update
- Wiper setting readback
- 4 MHz bandwidth—1 kΩ version
- Single supply 2.7 V to 5.5 V
- Dual supply ±2.25 V to ±2.75 V
- 2 slave address-decoding bits allow operation of 4 devices
- 100-year typical data retention, TA = 55°C
- Operating temperature: –40°C to +105°C
The AD5253 / AD5254 are quad-channel, I2C, nonvolatile memory, digitally controlled potentiometers with 64/256 positions, respectively. These devices perform the same electronic adjustment functions as mechanical potentiometers, trimmers, and variable resistors.
The parts’ versatile programmability allows multiple modes of operation, including read/write access in the RDAC and EEMEM registers, increment/decrement of resistance, resistance changes in ±6 dB scales, wiper setting readback, and extra EEMEM for storing user-defined information, such as memory data for other components, look-up table, or system identification information.
The AD5253 / AD5254 allow the host I2C controllers to write any of the 64-/256-step wiper settings in the RDAC registers and store them in the EEMEM. Once the settings are stored, they are restored automatically to the RDAC registers at system power-on; the settings can also be restored dynamically.
The AD5253 / AD5254 provide additional increment, decrement, +6 dB step change, and –6 dB step change in synchronous or asynchronous channel update mode. The increment and decrement functions allow stepwise linear adjustments, with a ± 6 dB step change equivalent to doubling or halving the RDAC wiper setting. These functions are useful for steep-slope, nonlinear adjustments, such as white LED brightness and audio volume control.
The AD5253 / AD5254 have a patented resistance-tolerance storing function that allows the user to access the EEMEM and obtain the absolute end-to-end resistance values of the RDACs for precision applications.
The AD5253 / AD5254 are available in TSSOP-20 packages in 1 kΩ, 10 kΩ, 50 kΩ, and 100 kΩ options. All parts are guaranteed to operate over the –40°C to +105°C extended industrial temperature range. In this data sheet, the nonvolatile memory and EEMEM terms are used interchangeably, as are the digital potentiometer and RDAC terms.
- Mechanical potentiometer replacement
- Low resolution DAC replacement
- RGB LED backlight control
- White LED brightness adjustment
- RF base station power amp bias control
- Programmable gain and offset control
- Programmable attenuators
- Programmable voltage-to-current conversion
- Programmable power supply
- Programmable filters
- Sensor calibrations
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (1)
With versatile programmability, the AD5254 allows multiple modes of operation, including read/write access in the RDAC and EEMEM registers, increment/decrement of resistance, resistance changes in ±6 dB scales, wiper setting read-back, and extra EEMEM for storing user-defined information, such as memory data for other components or a lookup table.
The AD5254 supports a dual-supply ±2.25 V to ±2.75 V operation and a single-supply 2.7 V to 5.5 V operation, making the device suited for battery-powered applications and many other applications. In addition, the AD5254 uses a versatile I2C serial interface that operates in fast mode, allowing speeds of up to 400 kbps and supporting the selection of up to four different I2C addresses.
The EVAL-AD5254SDZ can operate in single-supply and dual-supply mode and incorporates an internal power supply from the USB.
Complete specifications for the AD5254 part can be found in the AD5254 data sheet.
Features & Benefits
- Full featured evaluation board for the AD5254
- Several test circuits
- Various ac/dc input signals
- PC control via a separately purchased system development platform (SDP)
- PC control software
- 12 extra bytes in EEMEM for user-defined information
- Resistor tolerance error stored in EEMEM
Documentation & Resources
Software & Systems Requirements
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
See our Ordering FAQs for answers to questions about online orders, payment options and more.
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.
Pricing displayed is based on 1-piece.
Up to two boards can be purchased through Analog.com. To order more than two, please purchase through one of our listed distributors.
Pricing displayed is based on 1-piece. The USA list pricing shown is for budgetary use only, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit), and is subject to change. International prices may vary due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates.