DigiPot+, Smaller, More Accurate, Better Resistor Tolerance
Features and Benefits
- 2-channel, 256-position potentiometers
- One-time programmable (OTP) set-and-forget resistance setting provides a low cost alternative to EEMEM
- Unlimited adjustments prior to OTP activation
- OTP overwrite allows dynamic adjustments with user-defined preset
- End-to-end resistance: 2.5 kΩ, 10 kΩ, 50 kΩ, 100 kΩ
- Compact 10-lead MSOP: 3 mm × 4.9 mm
- Fast settling time: tS = 5 μs typical in power-up
- See Data Sheet for Additional Information
The AD5172/AD5173 are dual-channel, 256-position, one-time programmable (OTP) digital potentiometers1 that employ fuse link technology to achieve memory retention of resistance settings. OTP is a cost-effective alternative to EEMEM for users who do not need to program the digital potentiometer setting in memory more than once. These devices perform the same electronic adjustment function as mechanical potentiometers or variable resistors with enhanced resolution, solid-state reliabil-ity, and superior low temperature coefficient performance.
The AD5172/AD5173 are programmed using a 2-wire, I2C®-compatible digital interface. Unlimited adjustments are allowed before permanently setting the resistance value. During OTP activation, a permanent blow fuse command freezes the wiper position (analogous to placing epoxy on a mechanical trimmer).
Unlike traditional OTP digital potentiometers, the AD5172/ AD5173 have a unique temporary OTP overwrite feature that allows for new adjustments even after a fuse is blown. However, the OTP setting is restored during subsequent power-up condi-tions. This allows users to treat these digital potentiometers as volatile potentiometers with a programmable preset.
- Systems calibration
- Electronics level setting
- Mechanical trimmers replacement in new designs
- Permanent factory PCB setting
- Transducer adjustment of pressure, temperature, position, chemical, and optical sensors
- RF amplifier biasing
- Automotive electronics adjustment
- Gain control and offset adjustment
1 The terms digital potentiometer, VR, and RDAC are used interchangeably.
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The AD5172 supports a single-supply 2.7 V to 5.5 V operation, making the device suited for battery-powered applications and many other applications with a superior low temperature coefficient performance.
The on-board socket allows the user to easily replace the device for reprogramming of the OTP memory.
In addition, the AD5172 uses a versatile I2C serial interface that operates in fast mode, allowing speeds of up to 400 kHz.
The EVAL-AD5172SDZ can operate in single-supply mode and incorporates an internal power supply from the USB.
Complete specifications for the AD5172 part can be found in the AD5172 data sheet.
Features & Benefits
- Full-featured evaluation board for the AD5172
- Various test circuits
- Various ac/dc input signals
- PC control via a separately purchased system development platform (SDP)
- PC software for control
- Resistor tolerance error stored in EEMEM
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.