Features and Benefits
- End-to-end resistance 5 kΩ, 10 kΩ, 50 kΩ, 100 kΩ
- Compact MSOP-10 (3 mm × 4.9 mm) package
- Pin selectable SPI/I2C compatible interface
- Extra package address decode pin AD0
- Full read/write of wiper register
- Power-on preset to midscale
- Single supply 2.7 V to 5.5 V
- Low temperature coefficient 45 ppm/°C
- Low power, IDD = 8 μA
- Wide operating temperature −40°C to +125°C
- SDO output allows multiple device daisy-chaining
- Evaluation board available
The AD5161 provides a compact 3 mm × 4.9 mm packaged solution for 256-position adjustment applications. These devices perform the same electronic adjustment function as mechanical potentiometers or variable resistors, with enhanced resolution, solid-state reliability, and superior low temperature coefficient performance.
The wiper settings are controllable through a pin selectable SPI or I2C compatible digital interface, which can also be used to read back the wiper register content. When the SPI mode is used, the device can be daisy-chained (SDO to SDI), allowing several parts to share the same control lines. In the I2C mode, address pin AD0 can be used to place up to two devices on the same bus. In this same mode, command bits are available to reset the wiper position to midscale or to shut down the device into a state of zero power consumption.
Operating from a 2.7 V to 5.5 V power supply and consuming less than 5 μA allows for usage in portable battery-operated applications.
- Mechanical potentiometer replacement in new designs
- Transducer adjustment of pressure, temperature, position, chemical, and optical sensors
- RF amplifier biasing
- Gain control and offset adjustment
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The AD5161 supports single-supply 2.7 V to 5.5 V operation, making the device suitable for battery-powered applications and many applications requiring superior low temperature coefficient performance.
In addition, the AD5161 has a pin-selectable SPI- or I2C-compatible digital interface, which can be used to control the wiper settings or to read back the wiper register content. In SPI mode, the device can be daisy-chained (SDO to SDI), allowing several parts to share the same control lines. In I2C mode, Address Pin AD0 can be used to place up to two devices on the same bus. In this same mode, command bits are available to reset the wiper position to midscale or to shut down the device into a state of zero power consumption.
The EVAL-AD5161DBZ daughter board and the EVAL-MB-LV-SDZ motherboard can operate in single-supply mode and incorporate an internal power supply from the USB.
Complete specifications for the AD5161 can be found in the AD5161 data sheet.
Features & Benefits
- Full featured evaluation board used in conjunction with low voltage digiPOT motherboard (EVAL-MB-LV-SDZ)
- Multiple test circuits
- Multiple ac/dc input signals
- PC control via a separately purchased system demonstration platform (SDP-B or SDP-S)
- PC software for control
Software & Systems Requirements
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.