Versatile 35VIN/35VOUT Synchronous Buck Battery Charger Controller Offers up to 20A Charge Current, Multichemistry Operation & Digital Telemetry
Linear Technology Corporation introduces the LTC4015, a highly integrated, high voltage multichemistry synchronous step-down battery charger controller with on-board telemetry functions. The device efficiently transfers power from a variety of input sources, such as wall adapters and solar panels, to a Li-Ion/Polymer, LiFePO4 or lead-acid battery stack and system load up to 35V. It provides advanced system monitoring and management functionality, including battery coulomb counting and health monitoring. While a host microcontroller is required to access the most advanced features of the LTC4015, the use of an I2C port is optional. The main charging features of the product can be adjusted using pin-strap configurations and programming resistors.
The device offers precision ±5% charge current regulation up to 20A, ±0.5% charge voltage regulation and operation over a 4.5V to 35V input voltage range. Applications include portable medical instruments, military equipment, battery backup applications, industrial handhelds, industrial lighting, ruggedized notebooks/tablet computers, and remote powered communication and telemetry systems.
The LTC4015 contains an accurate 14-bit analog-to-digital converter (ADC) as well as a high precision coulomb counter. The ADC continuously monitors numerous system parameters, including input voltage, input current, battery voltage, battery current, and reports battery temperature and battery series resistance (BSR) on command. By monitoring these parameters, the LTC4015 can report on the state of health of the battery, as well as its state of charge. All system parameters can be monitored via a 2-wire I2C interface, while programmable and maskable alerts ensure that only the information of interest causes an interrupt.
The LTC4015’s on-board charging profiles are optimized for each of a variety of battery chemistries including Li-Ion/Polymer, LiFePO4, and lead-acid. Configuration pins allow the user to select between several predefined charge algorithms for each battery chemistry, as well as several algorithms whose parameters can be adjusted via I2C. Both charge voltage and charge current can be automatically adjusted based on battery temperature to comply with JEITA guidelines, or custom settings.
The LTC4015 is housed in a 5mm × 7mm QFN package with an exposed metal pad for excellent thermal performance. E- and I-grade devices are guaranteed for operation from –40°C to 125°C. 1,000-piece pricing starts at $5.95 for the E-grade and devices are available from stock. For more information, visit www.linear.com/products/LTC4015.
Summary of Features: LTC4015
- Multichemistry Li-Ion/Polymer, LiFePO4 Lead-Acid Battery Charger with Termination
- High Efficiency Synchronous Step-Down Controller Charger
- 14-Bit ADC for Monitoring VBAT, IBAT, VIN, IIN, VSYSTEM & Die Temperature
- Battery Capacity & Health Monitor
- Precision Coulomb Counter
- 14-Bit ADC for Monitoring BSR & Battery Temperature
- Wide Charging Input Voltage Range: 4.5V to 35V
- Wide Battery Voltage Range up to 35V
- Advanced Maximum Power Point Tracking Algorithm
- Optional I2C Serial Port Control
- Ship-and-Store Feature Maximizes Battery Shelf Life
- Input & Output Ideal Diodes Provide Low Loss PowerPath™
- Thermally Enhanced 38-Lead
5mm × 7mm QFN Package
35VIN/35VOUT Step-Down Power Manager Charger Controller
The USA list pricing shown is for budgetary use only. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates.
- About Analog Devices
- Analog Devices designs and manufactures semiconductor products and solutions. We enable our customers to interpret the world around us by intelligently bridging the physical and digital with unmatched technologies that sense, measure and connect. Visit http://www.analog.com
Editor's Contact Information
- Doug Dickinson