0V to 100V, 1% Accurate Energy Monitor Has 12-Bit Output
Linear Technology Corporation introduces the LTC2946, a high or low side charge, power and energy monitor for DC supply rails in the 0V to 100V range. An integrated ±0.4% accurate, 12-bit ADC and external precision time base (crystal or clock) enables measurement accuracy better than ±0.6% for current and charge, and ±1% for power and energy. A ±5% accurate internal time base substitutes in the absence of an external one. All digital readings, including minimums and maximums of voltage, current and power, are stored in registers accessible by an I2C/SMBus interface. An alert output signals when measurements exceed configurable warning thresholds, relieving the host of burdensome polling for data. The LTC2946 provides access to all the necessary parameters to accurately assess and manage board level energy consumption. In addition its wide operating range makes it ideal for monitoring board energy consumption in blade servers, telecom, solar and industrial equipment, and advanced mezzanine cards (AMC).
The LTC2946 can be powered from 2.7V to 5V directly, from 4V to 100V through an internal linear regulator, or beyond 100V through an internal shunt regulator. Two of the three general purpose input/output (GPIO) pins are configurable as an accumulator enable and alert output. The internal ADC operates in either a continuous scan mode or a snapshot mode. In shutdown mode, the device current consumption drops from 900µA to 15µA.
The LTC2946 is available in two options: the LTC2946 I2C interface has separate SDA input and output pins for standard or opto-isolated I2C, whereas the LTC2946-1 has an inverted SDA output for inverting opto-isolator configurations. Specified over the commercial, industrial, automotive and military temperature ranges, the LTC2946 is offered in 16-pin MSOP and 4mm × 3mm DFN packages. 1,000-piece pricing starts at $3.95 each. Device samples and evaluation circuit boards are available online or from your local Linear Technology sales office. For more information, visit www.linear.com/products/power_monitors.
Summary of Features: LTC2946
- Monitors Supply Voltage, Current, Charge, Power & Energy Use
- 0V to 100V Monitoring Range, >100V with Internal Shunt Regulator
- 12-Bit ADC with Scan & Snapshot Modes
- I2C/SMBus Digital Interface
- Guaranteed Accuracy:
- ±0.4% for 12-Bit Voltage
- ±0.6% for 12-Bit Current & 32-Bit Charge
- ±1% for 24-Bit Power & 32-Bit Energy
- Internal ±5%, External or Crystal Time Bases
- Minimum & Maximum Value Recorder
- Bias Supply Range: 4V to 100V, or 2.7V to 5.9V
- Alerts on Exceeding Warning Thresholds
- Split SDA Eases Opto-Isolation
- Shutdown Mode with IQ < 40µA
- 16-Pin MSOP & 4mm × 3mm DFN Packages
0V to 100V Energy, Power, Charge, Current & Voltage Monitor with I2C/SMBus
The USA list pricing shown is for budgetary use only. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates.
- About Analog Devices
- Innovation, performance, and excellence are the cultural pillars on which Analog Devices has built one of the longest standing, highest growth companies within the technology sector. Acknowledged industry-wide as the world leader in data conversion and signal conditioning technology, Analog Devices serves over 60,000 customers, representing virtually all types of electronic equipment. Analog Devices is headquartered in Norwood, Massachusetts, with design and manufacturing facilities throughout the world. Analog Devices is included in the S&P 500 Index.
Editor's Contact Information
- Doug Dickinson