Small Boost DC/DC Converter with Avalanche Photodiode Current Monitor
The LT3905 is a fixed frequency, current-mode step-up DC/DC converter designed to bias avalanche photodiodes (APD) in optical receivers. The LT3905 features high side APD current monitoring with over five decades of dynamic range and better than 2% relative accuracy over the 3µA to 3mA range. The maximum APD current is programmed with a single resistor and a fast current limiter with indicator protects the APD during overload conditions. Adjustable output voltage provides dynamic bias control and a programmable loss-of-signal indicator flags low APD current. The power switch, Schottky diode, APD current monitor, current limit and loss-of-signal indicator are integrated into a single IC that is packaged in a 3mm × 3mm QFN. Operating at 1MHz or 2MHz switching frequency, the LT3905 offers a tiny solution footprint for APD biasing applications.
The LT3905’s internal 65V, 350mA high efficiency switch offers output voltages as high as 60V while its 2.7V to 12V input voltage range accommodates a wide range of input sources. Its switching frequency is user selectable at 1MHz or 2MHz, enabling the designer to optimize efficiency while minimizing the size of the external components. Constant frequency architecture is used to minimize output noise. Other features include soft-start, internal compensation and programmable VIN undervoltage lockout.
The LT3905EUD is available in a 3mm × 3mm QFN-16 and is priced starting at $2.55 each in 1,000-piece quantities. An industrial grade version, the LT3905IUD, is tested and guaranteed to operate from a -40°C to 125°C operating junction temperature and is priced starting at $2.81 each in 1,000-piece quantities. Both versions are available from stock. For more information, visit www.linear.com/product/LT3905.
Summary of Features: LT3905
- 65V, 350mA Internal DMOS Switch
- Integrated Schottky Diode
- 2% Accurate APD Current Monitoring over the 3µA to 3mA Range
- Single Resistor Programs Maximum APD Current
- Fast APD Current Limiter with Indicator
- Programmable Loss-of-Signal Indicator
- 2.7V to 16V VIN Range
- CTRL Pin Adjusts Output Voltage
- Programmable VIN Undervoltage Lockout
- High Efficiency Step-Up Converter
- Selectable 1MHz/2MHz Switching Frequency
- Internally Compensated
- Internal Soft-Start
- Low Shutdown Current: <1µA
60V Boost Converter with APD Current Monitor
- About Analog Devices
- Innovation, performance, and excellence are the cultural pillars on which Analog Devices has built one of the longest standing, highest growth companies within the technology sector. Acknowledged industry-wide as the world leader in data conversion and signal conditioning technology, Analog Devices serves over 60,000 customers, representing virtually all types of electronic equipment. Analog Devices is headquartered in Norwood, Massachusetts, with design and manufacturing facilities throughout the world. Analog Devices is included in the S&P 500 Index.
Editor's Contact Information
- Doug Dickinson