Isolated Monolithic Flyback Regulator Delivers up to 15 Watts
Linear Technology Corporation announces the LT8302, a monolithic flyback regulator that significantly simplifies the design of isolated DC/DC converters. By sampling the isolated output voltage directly from the primary-side flyback waveform, the part requires no opto-isolator or third winding for regulation. The LT8302 operates over a 2.8V to 42V input voltage range, has a 3.6A/65V power switch and delivers up to 15 Watts of output power, making it well suited for a wide variety of industrial, medical, datacom, military and automotive applications.
The LT8302 operates in boundary mode, which is a variable frequency current-mode control switching scheme, typically resulting in ±5% regulation over the full line, load and temperature range. Boundary mode enables the use of a smaller transformer compared to equivalent continuous conduction-mode designs. The output voltage is easily set by two external resistors and the transformer turns ratio. Several off-the-shelf transformers, identified in the data sheet, can be used for numerous applications. The high level of integration and the use of low ripple Burst Mode® operation result in a simple to use, low component count and high efficiency application solution for isolated power delivery.
Additional features include output short circuit protection, a 380µA no load quiescent current with the output voltage in regulation, internal soft start and compensation, along with output diode temperature compensation.
The LT8302 is available in a small thermally enhanced SO-8 package. Extended and industrial versions operate over a junction temperature range of –40°C to 125°C. A high temperature automotive grade operates from –40°C to 150°C and a military grade operates from –55°C to 150°C. Pricing starts at $3.47 each in 1000-piece quantities. For more information, visit www.linear.com/product/LT8302.
Summary of Features: LT8302
- VIN Range from 2.8V to 42V
- Onboard 3.6A, 65V Integrated Power Switch
- No Transformer, Third Winding or Opto-Isolator Required for Feedback
- 380µA Quiescent Current
- Current-Mode Control
- Boundary-Mode Operation
- VOUT Set with Two External Resistors
- Off-the-Shelf Transformers
- Output Voltage Temperature Compensation
- Extended & Industrial Grades: –40°C to 125°C Operating Junction Temp
- Automotive Temp Grade: –40°C to 150°C Operating Junction Temp
- Military Temp Grade: –55°C to 150°C Operating Junction Temp
Isolated Monolithic Flyback Converter
- About Analog Devices
- Innovation, performance, and excellence are the cultural pillars on which Analog Devices has built one of the longest standing, highest growth companies within the technology sector. Acknowledged industry-wide as the world leader in data conversion and signal conditioning technology, Analog Devices serves over 60,000 customers, representing virtually all types of electronic equipment. Analog Devices is headquartered in Norwood, Massachusetts, with design and manufacturing facilities throughout the world. Analog Devices is included in the S&P 500 Index.
Editor's Contact Information
- Doug Dickinson