Miniature 750mA Standalone Li-Ion Battery Chargers in 2mm × 2mm Package
Linear Technology Corporation introduces the LTC4065 and LTC4065A, tiny fully integrated standalone linear battery chargers that can charge a single-cell Li-Ion battery up to 750mA without overheating the device or surrounding components. These full-featured ICs offer timer termination, recharge, trickle charge, and C/10 detection and are housed in a miniature 6-lead 2mm × 2mm DFN package. A complete solution requires only two discrete components (input capacitor and a charge current program resistor) and fits into a 2.5mm × 2.7mm 0.75mm form factor. Applications include digital still cameras, portable point-of-sale and diagnostic equipment, cell phones, PDAs and USB-equipped handheld devices.
The LTC4065/A requires no external MOSFET, sense resistor or blocking diode. A patented thermal regulation scheme prevents the junction temperature of the IC from exceeding 115°C by reducing charge current during high power or high ambient temperature operation. Other features of the LTC4065/A include a charge current monitor output for charge termination, a 4.2V 0.5% accurate float voltage, and 5% charge accuracy. Charge current is adjustable with a standard off-the-shelf resistor. The device is designed to work with supplies up to 5.5V, including those within USB specifications and from 5V wall adapters. During shutdown, the supply current is only 30uA and battery drain current is less than 1uA. The LTC4065A features an open drain AC Present status to indicate the presence of an input supply such as a wall adapter.
The LTC4065EDC and LTC4065AEDC are rated for operation from –40°C to 85°C. Pricing starts at $1.40 and $1.55 each in 1,000-piece quantities.
Summary of Features: LTC4065 and LTC4065A
- Standalone Charger: Termination, Pre-Charge, Charge Control and Recharge
- C/10 Charge Current Detection Output
- Safety Timer Termination
- Programmable Charge Current up to 750mA with 5% Accuracy
- Thermal Regulation Maximizes Charge Rate without Risk of Overheating
- Charge Current Monitor Output for Charge Termination
- AC Present Status Indicates Presence of Input Supply (LTC4065A only)
- No External MOSFET, Sense Resistor or Blocking Diode Required
- Tiny Low-Profile (0.75mm) 6 lead 2mm × 2mm DFN Package
Editor's Contact Information
- Doug Dickinson