Quad-Channel Digital Isolator (2/2 Channel Directionality)
The ADuM1402 is a quad-channel digital isolator with 2/2 channel directionality based on Analog Devices, Inc.,iCoupler® technology. Combining high speed CMOS and monolithic air core transformer technology, this isolation component provides outstanding performance characteristics superior to alternatives, such as optocoupler devices.
By avoiding the use of LEDs and photodiodes, iCoupler devices remove the design difficulties commonly associated with opto-couplers. The typical optocoupler concerns regarding uncertain current transfer ratios, nonlinear transfer functions, and temperature and lifetime effects are eliminated with the simple iCoupler digital interfaces and stable performance characteristics.
The need for external drivers and other discrete components is eliminated with iCoupler products. Furthermore, iCoupler devices consume one-tenth to one-sixth of the power of optocouplers at comparable signal data rates.
The ADuM1400/ADuM1401/ADuM1402 isolators provide four independent isolation channels in a variety of channel configurations and data rates (see the Ordering Guide in the data sheet). All models operate with the supply voltage on either side ranging from 2.7 V to 5.5 V, providing compatibility with lower voltage systems as well as enabling a voltage translation functionality across the isolation barrier. In addition, the ADuM1400/ADuM1401/ADuM1402 provide low pulse width distortion (<2 ns for CRW grade) and tight channel-to-channel matching (<2 ns for CRW grade). Unlike other optocoupler alternatives, the ADuM1400/ADuM1401/ADuM1402 isolators have a patented refresh feature that ensures dc correctness in the absence of input logic transitions and when power is not applied to one of the supplies.
- General-purpose multichannel isolation
- SPI interface/data converter isolation
- RS-232/RS-422/RS-485 transceivers
- Industrial field bus isolation
- Automotive systems
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Supported iCoupler® Products
Two motors can be driven at the same time, each motor having its separate power supply. The system incorporates high quality power sources; reliable power, control, and feedback signals isolation; accurate measurement of motor current & voltage signals; high speed interfaces for control signals to allow fast controller response; industrial Ethernet high speed interfaces; single ended Hall, differential Hall, encoder and resolver interfaces; digital position sensors interface; flexible control with a FPGA/SoC interface.
The kit consists of two boards: a controller board and a drive board. An optional AD-DYNO2-EBZ dynamometer can also be purchased through Avnet and is intended to be an extension of the drive system.
- Digital board for interfacing with the low and high voltage drive boards
- Compatible with all Xilinx FPGA platforms with FMC LPC or HPC connectors
- FMC signals voltage adaptation interface for seamless operation on all FMC voltage levels
- Fully isolated digital control and feedback signals
- Isolated Xilinx XADC interface
- 2 x Gbit Ethernet PHYs for high speed industrial communication, with 3rd party EtherCAT support
- Single ended Hall, Differential Hall, Encoder, Resolver interfaces
- Digital sensors interfaces
- BISS Interface
- Drives motors up to 48V @ 20A
- Drives 2 motors simultaneously
- High frequency drive stage implemented with ADI isolated gate drivers
- Supported motor types
Stepper (bipolar / unipolar)
- Integrated over current protection
- Reverse voltage protection
- Current and Voltage measurement using isolated ADCs
- BEMF zero cross detection for sensorless control of PMSM or BLDC motors
- Separate voltage supplies for the 2 motors so that the motors don't influence each other
Dynamometer System with Embedded Control
- Two BLDC motors connected by a rigid couple in a dyno setup, which can be used to test real-time motor control performance.
- One BLDC motor acts as an electronically adjustable load and is driven by the embedded control system. This motor can be directly connected to the FMC motor drive to get complex / active loads. The load can be driven also by the AD-FMCMOTCON2-EBZ to implement dynamic load profiles.
- The other BLDC motor is driven by the FMC motor drive.
- Measurement and display of load motor current
- Measurement and display of load motor speed
- External control using Analog Discovery and MathWorks Instrumentation Control Toolbox
Example reference designs showing how to use the platform with Xilinx® FPGAs or SoCs and high performance control algorithms from Mathworks® are provided together with the hardware. Information on the FMC board, and how to use it, the design package that surrounds it, and the software which can make it work, can be found by clicking the software link.
Safety and Regulatory Compliance
Safety and Regulatory Compliance Information
The iCoupler® family of digital isolation products have been tested and approved by various regulatory agencies,...
Product Selection Guide
Digital Isolator Product Selection and Resource Guide
Product Selection Guide
Automotive Grade Digital Isolators - ADuM120xW/ADuM130xW/ADuM140xW (2008)
Solutions Bulletins & Brochures
Emerging Energy Applications Solutions Bulletin, Volume 10, Issue 4
MS-2644: Ultralow Power Opening Applications to High Speed Isolation
MS-2127: Designing with iCoupler Digital Isolators in Solar PV Inverters
Inside iCoupler® Technology:ADuM347x PWM Controller and Transformer Driver...
By Flow Zhao, Design Engineer
NAppkin Note: Lowering the Power of the ADuM524x
By Mark Cantrell, Senior Applications Engineer
Micro-Transformers Provide Signal and Power Isolation for Hybrid Electric...
By Baoxing Chen, Sr. Staff Engineer, Analog Devices, Inc.
Medical Devices Demand Stringent Isolation Techniques
iCoupler® Products with isoPower™ Technology: Signal and Power Transfer...
By Baoxing Chen
Isolation in Medical Applications
by Rich Ghiorse and Steve Ranta, Analog Devices, Inc. (Power Electronics-Europe, 7/2005)
High Speed Digital Isolators Using Microscale On-Chip Transformers
By Baoxing Chen, John Wynne, and Ronn Kliger
Digital Isolators protect RS-232, RS-485, and CAN Buses
High-Performance Multichannel Power-Line Monitoring with...
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.