Features and Benefits
- 5 kV rms signal isolated CAN transceiver
- 5 V or 3.3 V operation on VDD1
- 5 V operation on VDD2
- VDD2SENSE to detect loss of power on VDD2
- Complies with ISO 11898 standard
- High speed data rates of up to 1 Mbps
- Short-circuit protection on CANH and CANL against shorts to power/ground in 24 V systems
- Unpowered nodes do not disturb the bus
- Connect 110 or more nodes on the bus
- Thermal shutdown protection
- High common-mode transient immunity: >25 kV/μs
- Safety and regulatory approvals
- UL recognition
- 5000 V rms for 1 minute per UL 1577
- VDE Certificates of Conformity
- DIN V VDE V 0884-10 (VDE V 0884-10): 2006-12
- VIORM = 846 V peak
- Industrial operating temperature range: −40°C to +125°C
- Wide-body, 16-lead SOIC package
- Qualified for automotive applications
The ADM3054 is a 5 kV rms signal isolated controller area network (CAN) physical layer transceiver. The ADM3054 complies with the ISO 11898 standard.
The device employs Analog Devices, Inc., iCoupler® technology to combine a 3-channel isolator and a CAN transceiver into a single package. The logic side of the device is powered with a single 3.3 V or 5 V supply on VDD1 and the bus side uses a single 5 V supply on VDD2 only. Loss of power on the bus side (VDD2) can be detected by an integrated VDD2SENSE signal.
The ADM3054 creates an isolated interface between the CAN protocol controller and the physical layer bus. It is capable of running at data rates of up to 1 Mbps.
The device has integrated protection on the bus pins, CANH and CANL against shorts to power/ground in 24 V systems.
The device has current-limiting and thermal shutdown features to protect against output short circuits and situations where the bus might be shorted to ground or power terminals. The part is fully specified over the industrial temperature range and is available in a 16-lead, wide-body SOIC package.
- CAN data buses
- Industrial field networks
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The EVAL-ADM3054EBZ allows quick and easy evaluation of the ADM3054 isolated CAN transceiver. The evaluation board allows all of the input and output functions to be exercised without the need for external components. Screw terminal blocks provide convenient connections for logic signals and power. The main device on the evaluation board, the ADM3054, is a controller area network (CAN) physical layer transceiver with integrated digital isolation, allowing a protocol layer CAN controller to access the physical layer bus. The ADM3054 complies with the ISO 11898 standard. It is capable of running at data rates of up to 1 Mbps. The evaluation board has separate ground and power planes for the logic side and the bus side. This allows evaluation of the isolation capability of the ADM3054, which employs Analog Devices, Inc., iCoupler® technology to combine a 3-channel isolator and a CAN transceiver into a single, 16-lead wide body SOIC package. The power is isolated between a single 3.3 V or 5 V supply on VDD1, the logic side, and a single 5 V supply provided on VDD2, the bus side. Loss of power on the bus side (VDD2) can be detected by an integrated VDD2SENSE signal.
Features & Benefits
- Easy evaluation of the ADM3054 controller area network (CAN) transceiver
- Isolated ground planes (logic side and bus side)
- Convenient connections through screw terminal blocks:
3.3V or 5V power on the logic side (VDD1)
5V power on the bus side (VDD2)
Ground on logic side (GND1) and bus side (GND2)
Logic signals RXD, TXD, VDD2SENSE
Cable shield and bus signals CANH and CANL
- Jumper selectable SMB jack inputs for RXD and TXD
- Test points for measuring all signals
- Termination resistors (2 × 30 Ω) with common mode filter
Tools & Simulations
Safety and Regulatory Compliance (1)
Product Selection Guide (1)
Analog Dialogue (1)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.