Features and Benefits
- Recommended for PROFIBUS Applications
- Guaranteed 20Mbps Data Rate
- 20ns Transmitter and Receiver Propagation Delay
- 2ns Transmitter and Receiver Skew
- High Differential Driver Output Level (2.1V on 54Ω)
- Hot-Swap Versions
- 1µA Shutdown Supply Current
- Low Supply Current Requirements (2.5mA typ)
- Allow Up to 128 Transceivers on the Bus
- True Fail-Safe Receiver while Maintaining EIA/TIA-485 Compatibility
- Designed for Multipoint Transmissions on Long or Noisy Bus Lines
- Full Duplex and Half Duplex Versions Available
- Phase Controls to Correct for Twisted-Pair Reversal for 14-Pin Versions
- Current-Limiting and Thermal Shutdown for Driver Overload Protection
The MAX3460–MAX3464 are high-speed differential bus transceivers for RS-485 and RS-422 communications. They are designed to meet TIA/EIA-422-B, TIA/EIA-485-A, V.11, and X.27 standards. The transceiver complies with the PROFIBUS specification providing +2.1V output level with a 54Ω load, 20Mbps data rate, and output skew less than 2ns. Each part contains one three-state differential line driver and one differential input line receiver. The devices operate from a +5V supply and feature true fail-safe circuitry, which guarantees a logic-high receiver output when the receiver inputs are open or shorted. This enables all receiver outputs on a terminated bus to output logic highs when all transmitters are disabled.
All devices feature a 1/4 standard unit load receiver input impedance that allows 128 transceivers on the bus. Driver and receiver propagation delays are guaranteed under 20ns for multidrop, clock distribution applications. Drivers are short-circuit current limited and are protected against excessive power dissipation by thermal shutdown circuitry. The driver and receiver feature active-high and active-low enables, respectively, that can be connected together externally to serve as a direction control.
- High-Speed RS-422 Communications
- High-Speed RS-485 Communications
- Industrial Control Local Area Networks
- Level Translators
- PROFIBUS Applications
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Documentation & Resources
MAX3463 Reliability Data1/12/202399K
Tools & Simulations
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Support & Discussions
Sample & Buy
See our Ordering FAQs for answers to questions about online orders, payment options and more.
Buy Now Pricing
(**) Displayed Buy Now Price and Price Range is based on small quantity orders.
(*)The 1Ku list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Please see the latest communication from our CCO regarding lead times.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.