MAX3108: SPI/I²C UART with 128-Word FIFOs in WLP Data Sheet (Rev. 2)2/27/20132M
Features and Benefits
- 24Mbps (max) Baud Rate
- Integrated PLL and Divider
- 1.71V to 3.6V Supply Range
- High-Resolution Programmable Baud Rate
- SPI Up to 26MHz Clock Rate
- Fast Mode Plus I²C Up to 1MHz
- Automatic Active-Low RTS and Active-Low CTS Hardware Flow Control
- Automatic XON/XOFF Software Flow Control
- Special Character Detection
- 9-Bit Multidrop Mode Data Filtering
- SIR- and MIR-Compliant IrDASM Encoder/Decoder
- Flexible Logic Levels on the Controller and Transceiver Interfaces
- Four Flexible GPIOs
- Line Noise Indication
- Shutdown and Auto-Sleep Modes
- Low 35µA (max) VCC Shutdown Current
- Register Compatible with the MAX3107
- Tiny, 25-Bump WLP Package (2.1mm × 2.1mm)
The MAX3108 small form factor universal asynchronous receiver-transmitter (UART) with 128 words each of receive and transmit FIFOs is controlled through a serial I²C or SPI controller interface. Auto-sleep and shutdown modes help reduce power consumption during periods of inactivity. A low 500µA (max) supply current and tiny 25-bump WLP (2.1mm x 2.1mm) package make the MAX3108 ideal for low-power portable devices. The MAX3108 operates from a low supply voltage of 1.71V to 3.6V.
Baud rates up to 24Mbps make the MAX3108 suitable for today’s high data rate applications. A phase-locked loop (PLL), predivider, and fractional baud-rate generator allow high-resolution baud-rate programming and minimize the dependency of baud rate on reference clock frequency.
Four GPIOs can be used as inputs, outputs, or interrupt inputs. When configured as outputs, they can be programmed to be open-drain outputs and sink up to 20mA of current.
The MAX3108 is ideal for portable and handheld devices, is available in a 25-bump (2.1mm x 2.1mm) 0.4mm pitch WLP package, and is specified over the -40°C to +85°C extended temperature range.
- Low-Power Handheld Devices
- Medical Systems
- Mobile Internet Devices
- Point-of-Sale Systems
- Portable Communication Devices
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Documentation & Resources
MAX3108 Reliability Data1/12/2023112K
Interfacing to the MAX3108 UART3/27/2012
Reference Designs (1)
MAXREFDES212Reference Design Board
MAXREFDES212Reference Design Board
Features & Benefits
- Universal IO (UAIO), ±12.5V or ±25mA
- 8 Digital Inputs, IEC 61131-2 compliant Types 1/3
- 4 Digital Outputs, up to 1A with Safe Demag
- IO-Link® Master, four ports, version 1.1 compliant
- TMG IO-Link Master Stack
- One RS-485 COM port, full duplex to 25Mbps data rate
- Robust interfaces with integrated protection for ESD and surge
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Support & Discussions
Sample & Buy
See our Ordering FAQs for answers to questions about online orders, payment options and more.
Buy Now Pricing
(**) Displayed Buy Now Price and Price Range is based on small quantity orders.
(*)The 1Ku list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Please see the latest communication from our CCO regarding lead times.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.