Features and Benefits
- No Damage or Latchup to ±15kV ESD (Human Body Model), IEC1000-4-2 Level 4 (±8kV) Contact and Level 3 (±8kV) Air Discharge
- Guaranteed High Receiver Output State for Floating, Shorted or Terminated Inputs with No Signal Present
- Drives Low Cost Residential Telephone Wires
- ICC = 600µA Max with No Load
- Single 5V Supply
- –7V to 12V Common Mode Range Permits ±7V Ground Difference Between Devices on the Data Line
- Power-Up/Down Glitch-Free Driver Outputs Permit Live Insertion or Removal of Transceiver
- Driver Maintains High Impedance with the Power Off
- Up to 32 Transceivers on the Bus
- Pin Compatible with the SN75179 and LTC490
- Available in SO, MSOP and PDIP Packages
The LTC1690 is a low power receiver/driver pair that is compatible with the requirements of RS485 and RS422. The receiver offers a fail-safe feature that guarantees a high receiver output state when the inputs are left open, shorted together or terminated with no signal present. No external components are required to ensure the high receiver output state.
Separate driver output and receiver input pins allow full duplex operation. Excessive power dissipation caused by bus contention or faults is prevented by a thermal shutdown circuit which forces the driver outputs into a high impedance state.
The LTC1690 is fully specified over the commercial and industrial temperature ranges. The LTC1690 is available in 8-Pin SO, MSOP and PDIP packages.
- Battery-Powered RS485/RS422 Applications
- Low Power RS485/RS422 Transceiver
- Level Translator
- Line Repeater
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The EVAL-RS485FD8EBZ allows quick and easy evaluation of full-duplex RS-485 transceivers with standard 8-lead SOIC footprints. The evaluation board allows interfacing via screw terminal block to digital I/O for driver input (DI) and receiver output (RO). Bus signals A, B, Y and Z (full-duplex bus) can be connected to a bus screw terminal block. Termination resistors are fitted across A and B, as well as Y and Z. These can be connected in half-duplex configuration (A to Y, B to Z), in order to evaluate the RS-485 driver. Footprints are provided for pull-up and pull-down (biasing resistors) on the receiver inputs in order to provide the option to evaluate an RS-485 receiver with this configuration.
Devices for evaluation on the board must be ordered separately.
LTC1690 Companion Parts
Recommended Related Parts
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.