New Content (1)
Features and Benefits
- No Damage or Latchup to ±15kV (Human Body Model), IEC1000-4-2 Level 4 (±8kV) Contact and Level 3 (±8kV) Air Discharge
- Active Low Carrier Detect Output
- Guaranteed High Receiver Output State for Floating, Shorted or Terminated Inputs with No Signal Present
- Drives Low Cost Residential Telephone Wires
- Low Power: ICC = 700µA Max with Driver Disabled
- ICC = 900µA Max in Driver Mode Without Load
- 20µA Max Quiescent Current in Shutdown Mode
- Single 5V Supply
- –7V to 12V Common Mode Range Permits ±7V Ground Difference Between Devices on the Data Line
- Maximum Data Rate of 4Mbps
- Power Up/Down Glitch-Free Driver Outputs
- Up to 32 Transceivers on the Bus
- Available in 8-Lead MSOP, PDIP and SO Packages
The LTC1482 is a low power RS485 compatible transceiver that offers an active low carrier detect output. The open-drain carrier detect pin allows several transceivers to share the same carrier detect line and can be used to detect the insertion or removal of a driven RS485/RS422 cable.
Enhanced ESD protection allows the LTC1482 to withstand ±15kV (human body model), IEC-1000-4-2 level 4 (±8kV) contact and level 3 (±8kV) air discharge ESD without latchup or damage.
The LTC1482 receiver stays alive at all times except in shutdown. The supply current is a maximum of 700µA and 900µA when the driver is disabled and enabled respectively. In shutdown, the quiescent current of the LTC1482 drops to a maximum of 20µA.
When the driver is disabled or the LTC1482 is in shutdown, the driver outputs are three-stated and remain in a high impedance state over the RS485 common mode range.
Excessive power dissipation caused by bus contention or faults is prevented by a thermal shutdown circuit, which forces the driver outputs into a high impedance state.
The LTC1482 is fully specified over the commercial and industrial temperature ranges and is available in 8-lead MSOP, PDIP and SO packages.
- Battery-Powered RS485/RS422 Applications
- Low Power RS485/RS422 Transceiver
- Level Translator
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The EVAL-RS485HDEBZ allows quick and easy evaluation of half-duplex RS-485 transceivers with standard 8-lead SOIC footprints. The evaluation board allows interfacing via screw terminal block to digital I/O for driver input (DI), receiver output (RO), driver enable (DE) and receiver output (RO). Bus signals A and B (half-duplex bus) can be connected to a bus screw terminal block. One or two termination resistors can be connected to A and B via jumper settings, in order to evaluation the half-duplex RS-485 driver and receiver. Footprints are provided for pull-up and pull-down (biasing resistors) on the bus.
Devices for evaluation on the board must be ordered separately.
LTC1482 Companion Parts
Recommended Related Parts
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.