Features and Benefits
- Two RS232 Transceivers or One RS485 Transceiver
- Operates from a Single 5V Supply
- Guaranteed Receiver Output with Inputs Floating or Shorted to Ground
- Logic Selectable Fast/Slow RS485 Driver Slew Rate
- Low Supply Current: 7mA Typical
- 5µA Supply Current in Shutdown
- Self-Testing Capability in Loopback Mode
- Separate Driver and Receiver Enable Controls
- Driver Maintains High Impedance in Three-State, Shutdown or with Power Off
- Receiver Inputs Can Withstand ±25V
The LTC1387 is a low power reconfigurable CMOS bidirectional transceiver. It can be configured as an RS485 differential port or as two RS232 single-ended ports. An onboard charge pump uses four 0.1µF capacitors to generate boosted positive and negative supplies, allowing the RS232 drivers to meet ±5V output swing requirements with only a single 5V supply. A shutdown mode reduces the ICC supply current to 5µA.
The RS232 transceivers are in full compliance with RS232 specification. The RS485 transceiver is in full compliance with RS485 and RS422 specifications. The RS485 receiver assumes a known output state when the inputs are floating or shorted to ground. All interface drivers feature short-circuit and thermal shutdown protection. An enable pin allows RS485 driver outputs to be forced into high impedance which is maintained even when the outputs are forced beyond supply rails or the power is off. A loop back mode allows the driver outputs to be connected back to the receiver inputs for diagnostic self-test.
The LTC1387 is available in 20-pin plastic SSOP and SW packages.
- Point-of-Sale Terminals
- Software Selectable Multiprotocol Interface Ports
- Low Power RS485/RS422/RS232/EIA562 Interface
- Cable Repeaters
- Level Translators
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
LTC1387 Companion Parts
Recommended Related Parts
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.