Features and Benefits
- Simplifies the Design of a Low-Cost, Universal RS-232 COM Port to 1-Wire® Interface True-Ground
- Interface to an RS-232 COM Port for Reading and Writing 1-Wire Devices
- Works with Bipolar as well as Unipolar Logic Signals
- Slew Rate Controlled 1-Wire Pulldown and Active Pullup to Accommodate Long Lines and Reduce Radiation
- Communicates at Data Rates of 9.6kbps (default), 19.2kbps, 57.6kbps, and 115.2kbps
- Self-Calibrating Time Base with ±5% Tolerance for Serial and 1-Wire Communication
- User-Selectable RXD/TXD Polarity Minimizes Component Count When Interfacing to 5V Based RS232 Systems or Directly to UARTs
- Smart Protocol Combines Data and Control Information Without Requiring Extra Pins
- Compatible with Optical, IR, and RF to RS232 Converters
- Single Product Supports Various iButton® or 1-Wire Device Types for Easy System Integration
- Supports Reading and Writing at Standard and Overdrive Speeds
- Provides Strong Pullup to 5V for Temperature and EEPROM 1-Wire Devices
- Programs 1-Wire EPROM Devices with External 12V Power Supply
- Programmable 1-WireTiming and Driver Characteristics Accommodate a Wide Range of Slave Device Configurations at Standard Speed
- Operates Over 4.5V to 5.5V from -40°C to +85°C
The DS2480B is a serial port to 1-Wire® interface chip that supports standard and overdrive speeds. It connects directly to UARTs and 5V RS-232 systems. Interfacing to RS-232C (±12V levels) requires a passive clamping circuit and one 5V to ±12V level translator. Internal timers relieve the host of the burden of generating the time-critical 1-Wire communication waveforms. In contrast to the DS9097(E) where a full character must be sent by the host for each 1-Wire time slot, the DS2480B can translate each character into eight 1-Wire time slots, thereby increasing the data throughput significantly. In addition, the DS2480B can be set to communicate at four different data rates, including 115.2kbps, 57.6kbps, and 19.2kbps, with 9.6kbps being the power-on default. Command codes received from the host's crystal controlled UART serve as a reference to continuously calibrate the on-chip timing generator. The DS2480B uses a unique protocol that merges data and control information without requiring control pins. This approach maintains compatibility to off-the-shelf serial to wireless converters, allowing easy realization of 1-Wire media jumpers. The various control functions of the DS2480B are optimized for 1-Wire networks and support the special needs of all current 1-Wire devices including EPROM-based add-only memories, EEPROM devices, and 1-Wire thermometers. See Application Note 192: Using the DS2480B Serial 1-Wire Driver for detailed software examples.
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The DS28EA00 evaluation system (EV system) consists of a single evaluation kit (EV kit) that includes an evaluation board (EV board) made up of three subsections that can be broken/snapped off into three independently exercisable boards. See Figure 1 (in the full data sheet) for a picture of the standalone EV board and Figure 2 (in the full data sheet) for a picture of the EV board snapped and cabled together. Three DS28EA00 temperature chips with GPIO and sequence detect can be found on the EV board, one per subsection. Also included in the kit are connectivity items, such as serial cables, a 1-Wire® USB adapter, and jumpers. Free evaluation software, the OneWireViewer, is available for download from the web page listed in the Support Resources (in the full data sheet) section.
Since one of the major features of the DS28EA00 is detection of physical sequence, a block of dip switches are provided on each subsection of the EV board to re-order the physical connection between the chips. Optionally, the customer can break off the subsections of the eval board, connect them together with the provided cables, and re-order the physical sequence of the DS28EA00s that way. The OneWireViewer evaluation software can then be used to exercise the functionality of the chips and provide a way for an evaluator to see the actual physical connection sequence of the chips. The algorithm to detect the connection order is called chain mode. More information on chain mode can be found in Application Note 4037.
- Any Rack-Based Electronic System
- Climate Control
- Data communication equipment
- Process Temperature Monitoring
- Wireless Basestations
Features & Benefits
- Easy Setup
- Stand-Alone EV Board
- Contains Three Separate, Breakable Subsections with a DS28EA00 Per Subsection
- The Dipswitch Block on Each EV Board Subsection Routes Physical Chain-Mode
- Connections Between Chips When Used as a Stand-Alone Board
- EV Board's Subsections are Breakable Into Three Separate Boards Each of Which Evaluates a Single DS28EA00 or, When Cabled Together, Evaluate Chain-Mode Searching
- LEDs Give Visual Indicators of PIO Activity
- 6-Pin Terminal Strip Allows PIO Testing Outside of Chain Mode
- PC Connectivity Included
- RoHS Compliant
- Free Downloadable Evaluation Software Available
Documentation & Resources
DS2480B Reliability Data1/12/2023
UG-3358: OneWireViewer User Guide10/21/2004
Choosing the Right 1-Wire Master for the Embedded Applications2/6/2023
Implementing an Isolated 1-Wire Bus5/17/2012
Tutorial: Improve Sensor Performance and SNR in Pulse Oximeter Designs6/21/2010
White Paper 2: Using the 1-Wire® Public Domain Kit7/16/2008
Configurations of 1-Wire Timing of the DS2480B | Maxim Integrated9/27/2007
Determining the Recovery Time for Multiple-Slave 1-Wire® Networks6/21/2006
1-Wire Communication Through Software5/30/2002
Extending 1-Wire® Range with Network Proxies3/28/2002
Using the DS2480B Serial 1-Wire® Line Driver3/12/2002
Guidelines for Reliable Long Line 1-Wire Networks11/16/2001
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
See our Ordering FAQs for answers to questions about online orders, payment options and more.
Buy Now Pricing
(**) Displayed Buy Now Price and Price Range is based on small quantity orders.
(*)The 1Ku list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.