Features and Benefits
- 4096 bits of Read/Write Nonvolatile Memory (DS1993)
- 1024 bits of Read/Write Nonvolatile Memory (DS1992)
- 256-bit Scratchpad Ensures Integrity of Data Transfer
- Memory Partitioned into 256-bit Pages for Packetizing Data
- Data Integrity Assured with Strict Read/Write Protocols
- Operating Temperature Range from -40°C to +70°C
- Over 10 years of data retention
- Unique, Factory-Lasered and Tested 64-bit Registration Number (8-bit Family Code + 48-bit Serial Number + 8-bit CRC Tester) Assures Absolute Traceability Because No Two Parts are Alike
- Multidrop Controller for MicroLAN
- Digital Identification and Information by Momentary Contact
- Chip-Based Data Carrier Compactly Stores Information
- Data Can be Accessed While Affixed to Object
- Economically Communicates to Bus Master with a Single Digital Signal at 16.3kbps
- Standard 16mm Diameter and 1-Wire Protocol Ensure Compatibility with iButton Family
- Button Shape is Self-Aligning with Cup-Shaped Probes
- Durable Stainless Steel Case Engraved with Registration Number Withstands Harsh Environments
- Easily Affixed with Self-Stick Adhesive Backing, Latched by its Flange, or Locked with a Ring Pressed onto its Rim
- Presence Detector Acknowledges When Reader First Applies Voltage
- Meets UL 913, 5th Ed., Rev. 1997-02-24; Intrinsically Safe Apparatus, Approved under Entity Concept for use in Class I, Division 1, Group A, B, C, and D Locations
The iButton® 1Kb/4Kb memory (DS1992) is a rugged read/write data carrier that act as a localized database, easily accessible with minimal hardware. The nonvolatile memory and optional timekeeping capability offer a simple solution to storing and retrieving vital information pertaining to the object to which the iButton device is attached. Data is transferred serially through the 1-Wire® protocol that requires only a single data lead and a ground return.
The scratchpad is an additional page that acts as a buffer when writing to memory. Data is first written to the scratchpad where it can be read back. After the data has been verified, a copy scratchpad command transfers the data to memory. This process ensures data integrity when modifying the memory. A 48-bit serial number is factory lasered into each DS199_ to provide a guaranteed unique identity that allows for absolute traceability. The durable MicroCan® package is highly resistant to environmental hazards such as dirt, moisture, and shock. Its compact coin-shaped profile is self-aligning with mating receptacles, allowing the DS199_ to be easily used by human operators. Accessories permit the DS199_ to be mounted on almost any surface including plastic key fobs, photo-ID badges, and PC boards. Applications include access control, work-in-progress tracking, electronic travelers, storage of calibration constants, and debit tokens.
- Debit Tokens
- Electronic Travelers
- Storage of Calibration Constants
- Work-in-Progress Tracking
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Documentation & Resources
DS1992 Reliability Data1/12/2023
1-Wire Search Algorithm3/28/2002
Reading and Writing 1-Wire® Devices Through Serial Interfaces3/29/2001
iButton Data Loggers5/17/2019
White Paper 2: Using the 1-Wire® Public Domain Kit7/16/2008
1-Wire Software Resource Guide Device Description7/8/2008
Software Methods to Achieve Robust 1-Wire® Communication in iButton® Applications9/11/2007
What Is an iButton Device?5/17/2006
White Paper 5: Using 1-Wire APIs for Data Sheet Commands6/7/2002
1-Wire Communication Through Software5/30/2002
Using the DS2480B Serial 1-Wire® Line Driver3/12/2002
1-Wire File Structure7/11/2001
Understanding and Using Cyclic Redundancy Checks with Maxim 1-Wire and iButton Products3/29/2001
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
See our Ordering FAQs for answers to questions about online orders, payment options and more.
Buy Now Pricing
(**) Displayed Buy Now Price and Price Range is based on small quantity orders.
(*)The 1Ku list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.