Features and Benefits
- Incorporates Industry-Standard DS12887 PC Clock Plus Enhanced Functions
- RTC Counts Seconds, Minutes, Hours, Day, Date, Month, and Year with Leap Year Compensation Through 2099
- Optional +3.0V or +5.0V Operation
- SMI Recovery Stack
- 64-Bit Silicon Serial Number
- Power-Control Circuitry Supports System Power-On from Date/Time Alarm or Key Closure
- Crystal Select Bit Allows Operation with 6pF or 12.5pF Crystal
- 12-Hour or 24-Hour Clock with AM and PM in 12-Hour Mode
- 114 Bytes of General-Purpose, Battery-Backed NV SRAM
- Extended Battery-Backed NV SRAM
- 2048 Bytes (DS17285/DS17287)
- 4096 Bytes (DS17485/DS17487)
- 8192 Bytes (DS17885/DS17887)
- RAM Clear Function
- Interrupt Output with Six Independently Maskable Interrupt Flags
- Time-of-Day Alarm Once per Second to Once per Day
- End of Clock Update Cycle Flag
- Programmable Square-Wave Output
- Automatic Power-Fail Detect and Switch Circuitry
- Available in PDIP, SO, or TSOP Package (DS17285, DS17485, DS17885)
- Optional Encapsulated DIP (EDIP) Package with Integrated Crystal and Battery (DS17287, DS17487, DS17887)
- Optional Industrial Temperature Range Available
The DS17285, DS17485, DS17885, DS17287, DS17487, and DS17887 real-time clocks (RTCs) are designed to be successors to the industry-standard DS12885 and DS12887. The DS17285, DS17485, and DS17885 (hereafter referred to as the DS17x85) provide a real-time clock/calendar, one time-of-day alarm, three maskable interrupts with a common interrupt output, a programmable square wave, and 114 bytes of battery-backed NV SRAM. The DS17x85 also incorporates a number of enhanced functions including a silicon serial number, power-on/off control circuitry, and 2K, 4K, or 8Kbytes of battery-backed NV SRAM. The DS17287, DS17487, and DS17887 (hereafter referred to as the DS17x87) integrate a quartz crystal and lithium energy source into a 24-pin encapsulated DIP package. The DS17x85 and DS17x87 power-control circuitry allows the system to be powered on by an external stimulus such as a keyboard or by a time-and-date (wake-up) alarm. The active-low PWR output pin is triggered by one or either of these events, and is used to turn on an external power supply. The active-low PWR pin is under software control, so that when a task is complete, the system power can then be shut down.
For all devices, the date at the end of the month is automatically adjusted for months with fewer than 31 days, including correction for leap years. It also operates in either 24-hour or 12-hour format with an AM/PM indicator. A precision temperature-compensated circuit monitors the status of VCC. If a primary power failure is detected, the device automatically switches to a backup supply. A lithium coin cell battery can be connected to the VBAT input pin on the DS17x85 to maintain time and date operation when primary power is absent. The DS17x85 and DS17x87 include a VBAUX input used to power auxiliary functions such as active-low PWR control. The device is accessed through a multiplexed byte-wide interface.
- Embedded Systems
- Network Hubs, Bridges, and Routers
- Security Systems
- Utility Meters
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Documentation & Resources
DS17885 Reliability Data1/12/2023
Oscillator Design Considerations for Low-Current Applications1/26/2011
Selecting a Backup Source for Real-Time Clocks5/26/2006
Problems and Solutions for Adjusting to Changes in Daylight Saving Time3/23/2006
Interface a Multiplexed-Bus Real-Time Clock to a µP With Separate Address and Data Buses7/17/2002
Using the DS32kHz with Maxim Real-Time Clocks2/15/2002
Design Considerations for Maxim Real-Time Clocks2/15/2002
DS1685/87 and DS17X85/87 Accessing Extended User RAM5/31/2001
Crystal Considerations with Maxim Real-Time Clocks (RTCs)3/29/2001
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
See our Ordering FAQs for answers to questions about online orders, payment options and more.
Buy Now Pricing
(**) Displayed Buy Now Price and Price Range is based on small quantity orders.
(*)The 1Ku list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.