Features and Benefits
- Drop-In Replacement for IBM AT Computer Clock/Calendar
- RTC Counts Seconds, Minutes, Hours, Day, Date, Month, and Year with Leap Year Compensation Through 2099
- Binary or BCD Time Representation
- 12-Hour or 24-Hour Clock with AM and PM in 12-Hour Mode
- Daylight Saving Time Option
- Selectable Intel or Motorola Bus Timing
- Interfaced with Software as 128 RAM Locations
- 14 Bytes of Clock and Control Registers
- 114 Bytes of General-Purpose, Battery-Backed RAM (113 Bytes in the DS12C887 and DS12C887A)
- RAM Clear Function (DS12885, DS12887A, and DS12C887A)
- Interrupt Output with Three Independently Maskable Interrupt Flags
- Time-of-Day Alarm Once Per Second to Once Per Day
- Periodic Rates from 122µs to 500ms
- End-of-Clock Update Cycle Flag
- Programmable Square-Wave Output
- Automatic Power-Fail Detect and Switch Circuitry
- Optional 28-Pin PLCC Surface Mount Package or 32-Pin TQFP (DS12885)
- Optional Encapsulated DIP (EDIP) Package with Integrated Crystal and Battery (DS12887, DS12887A, DS12C887, DS12C887A)
- Optional Industrial Temperature Range Available
The DS12885, DS12887, and DS12C887 real-time clocks (RTCs) are designed to be direct replacements for the DS1285 and DS1287. The devices provide a real-time clock/calendar, one time-of-day alarm, three maskable interrupts with a common interrupt output, a programmable square wave, and 114 bytes of battery-backed static RAM (113 bytes in the DS12C887 and DS12C887A). The DS12887 integrates a quartz crystal and lithium energy source into a 24-pin encapsulated DIP package. The DS12C887 adds a century byte at address 32h. For all devices, the date at the end of the month is automatically adjusted for months with fewer than 31 days, including correction for leap years. The devices also operate in either 24-hour or 12-hour format with an AM/PM indicator. A precision temperature-compensated circuit monitors the status of VCC. If a primary power failure is detected, the device automatically switches to a backup supply. A lithium coin-cell battery can be connected to the VBAT input pin on the DS12885 to maintain time and date operation when primary power is absent. The device is accessed through a multiplexed byte-wide interface, which supports both Intel and Motorola modes.
- Embedded Systems
- Network Hubs, Bridges, and Routers
- Security Systems
- Utility Meters
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Documentation & Resources
DS12885 Reliability Data1/12/2023
Oscillator Design Considerations for Low-Current Applications1/26/2011
Selecting a Backup Source for Real-Time Clocks5/26/2006
Problems and Solutions for Adjusting to Changes in Daylight Saving Time3/23/2006
Interface a Multiplexed-Bus Real-Time Clock to a µP With Separate Address and Data Buses7/17/2002
Using the DS32kHz with Maxim Real-Time Clocks2/15/2002
Design Considerations for Maxim Real-Time Clocks2/15/2002
Crystal Considerations with Maxim Real-Time Clocks (RTCs)3/29/2001
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
See our Ordering FAQs for answers to questions about online orders, payment options and more.
Buy Now Pricing
(**) Displayed Buy Now Price and Price Range is based on small quantity orders.
(*)The 1Ku list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.