Features and Benefits
- USB 2.0 signaling with automatic detection of low, full, and high speed connections
- 1.5 Mbps, 12 Mbps, and 480 Mbps data rates
- Bidirectional USB isolator for upstream or downstream ports
- Redriving and high speed data retiming for input jitter removal and an open eye
- Flexible clock input options
- 4.5 V to 5.5 V VBUSx or 3 V to 3.6 V operation on each side
- 21 mA typical idle, low or full speed mode supply current
- 48 mA typical idle, high speed mode supply current
- Ultra low power standby in USB 2.0 suspend (L2) or disconnect
- 1.7 mA typical low power standby, upstream supply current
- 20 μA typical low power standby, downstream supply current
- ±8000 V IEC 61000-4-2 ESD protection across the isolation barrier
- Passed CISPR32/EN55032 Class B emissions
- High common-mode transient immunity: 50 kV/μs typical
- Safety and regulatory approvals (pending)
- UL (pending): 5700 V rms for 1 minute per UL 1577
- CSA Component Acceptance Notice 5A (pending)
- IEC 62368-1, IEC 61010-1 and IEC60601‑1
- VDE certificate of conformity (pending)
- DIN V VDE V 0884-11 (VDE V 0884-11):2017-01
- VIORM = 849 VPEAK
- Operating temperature range: −55°C to +125°C
- 20-lead, wide-body, increased creepage SOIC_IC package with 8.3 mm creepage and clearance
The ADuM4165/ADuM4166 are USB 2.0 port isolators, utilizing Analog Devices, Inc., iCoupler® technology to dynamically support all USB 2.0 data rates; low (1.5 Mbps), full (12 Mbps), or high (480 Mbps), as required. The devices support host isolation with automatic speed negotiation as well as peripheral isolation.
High speed data is retimed for jitter reduction, requiring an external clock signal or crystal input. The ADuM4165 supports the clock or crystal input on the upstream side, and the ADuM4166 supports the clock or crystal input on the downstream side, offering two options to best suit the system design.
The low power standby mode for downstream (Side 2) supports applications with limited available power, such as battery-operated peripherals. The upstream (Side 1) standby current meets USB 2.0 requirements for suspended operation.
The isolators are specified over an extended industrial temperature range of −55°C to +125°C and are available in a 20-lead, wide-body, increased creepage SOIC_IC with 8.3 mm creepage and clearance.
- USB peripheral, USB host, and USB hub isolation
- Electronic test and measurement equipment
- Medical devices and integrated PCs
- Industrial PCs and isolated USB ports for debug or upgrade
- USB isolator modules and USB cable isolators
Protected by U.S. Patents 7,075,329; 8,432,182; 8,525,547; and 8,564,327. Other patents are pending.
Markets and Technologies
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The EVAL-ADuM4165EBZ and the EVAL-ADuM4166EBZ allow quick and easy evaluation of the ADuM4165 and ADuM4166 USB isolators, allowing direct connection to USB hosts and peripherals without the need for additional components. The ADuM4165/ADuM4166 employ Analog Devices, Inc., iCoupler® technology to combine isolator channels, USB transceivers, power and timing circuits, control logic and internal terminations, pull-ups, and pull-downs into a single, 20-lead, wide-body, increased creepage SOIC_IC package.
The evaluation boards have a separate ground and power plane for each side of the isolator. This separation enables the evaluation of the ADuM4165/ADuM4166 with galvanic isolation between both sides of these devices. However, the boards have not been certified for safety when using high voltages, and testing must be carried out by qualified personnel only.
Power can be provided on the upstream side from a connected USB host, while an external power supply is required for the downstream side.
For full details on the ADuM4165/ADuM4166, see the ADuM4165/ADuM4166 data sheet, which must be consulted in conjunction with this user guide when using the EVAL-ADuM4165EBZ or the EVAL-ADuM4166EBZ.
Features & Benefits
- Supports USB 2.0 data transfer
- Low speed (1.5 Mbps)
- Full speed (12 Mbps)
- High speed (480 Mbps)
- Standard USB Type A and Type B connectors
- Upstream 5 V power from cable or external supply
- Downstream power from external supply
- Accepts 3.3 V or 5 V external supplies
- PGOOD (power good) indicator on downstream side
- Optional connection of external clock
- Option to connect test points
- 20-lead SOIC_IC package option with 8.3 mm creepage
Tools & Simulations
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Support & Discussions
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.