Features and Benefits
- Efficient asynchronous boost converter for driving up to 6 white LEDs
- 2.7 V to 5.5 V input voltage range
- 128 programmable backlight LED current levels (30 mA maximum)
- Ambient light sensing with autonomous backlight adjustment
- Programmable backlight fade-in/fade-out times
- Programmable backlight dim and off times
- 8 configurable GPIO pins (input, output, up to 4 × 4 keypad)
- Up to 3 auxiliary LED current sinks (1 dedicated, 2 configurable)
- 64 programmable auxiliary LED current levels (14 mA maximum)
- Programmable auxiliary LED fade-in/fade-out times
- Programmable auxiliary LED on and off times (allows blinking)
- I2C-compatible serial interface
- Interrupt line for signaling an external processor (INT)
- Hard reset (RST)
- Current limit protection
- Thermal overload protection
- Available in small 4.0 mm × 4.0 mm, 24-lead LFCSP package
The ADP5520 is a versatile single-chip, white LED backlight driver with a user configurable I/O expander. This device fits handset applications where the flip or slider section of the phone requires backlighting, I/O signaling and detecting, auxiliary LED lighting, and keypad functions. By incorporating an I2C-compatible serial interface and a single line interrupt, the ADP5520 significantly reduces the total number of lines required to interface with the baseband processor across the hinge flex.
The ADP5520 can detect ambient light levels and adjust the backlight brightness accordingly, resulting in extended battery operation.
Once configured, the ADP5520 is capable of controlling the flip/slider backlight intensity, on/off timing, dimming, and fading without the intervention of the main processor, which results in valuable battery power saving.
- Display backlight driver for phones that require slider or flip keypad functions with single or multiple LED indicators
Product Lifecycle Not Recommended for New Designs
This designates products ADI does not recommend broadly for new designs.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The ADP5520 evaluation board allows the user to exercise the main features and functionality of the ADP5520 backlight driver with I/O expander IC. A daughterboard houses the actual IC and associated components for backlight driving. The daughter-board plugs into a larger motherboard that houses additional components for device configuration and stimulus. The evaluation board is powered via the USB port and is accompanied by a free register graphical user interface (GUI) that allows interaction with all internal settings of the ADP5520.
Software & Systems Requirements
Solutions Bulletins & Brochures (1)
Power Reference Designs (1)
Technical Articles (1)
Analog Dialogue (1)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.