Features and Benefits
- SFP/SFF and SFF-8472 MSA compliant
- SFP reference design available
- 50 Mbps to 4.25 Gbps operation
- Automatic average power control
- Typical 60 ps output rise/fall time
- VCSEL, DFB, and FP laser support
- Bias current range: from 2 mA to 100 mA
- Modulation current range: from 5 mA to 90 mA
- Laser fail alarm and automatic laser shutdown (ALS)
- Bias and modulation current monitoring
- Voltage setpoint control
- Resistor setpoint control
- 3.3 V supply
- 24-lead 4 mm × 4 mm LFCSP
- Pin compatible with ADN2870
Like the ADN2870, the ADN2873 laser diode driver (LDD) is designed for advanced SFP and SFF modules, using SFF-8472 digital diagnostics. The ADN2873 supports NRZ data transmission operation from 50 Mbps up to 4.25 Gbps. With a new alarm scheme, this device avoids the shutdown issue caused by the system transient generated from various lasers.
The ADN2873 monitors the laser bias and modulation currents and it provides fail alarms and ALS. Using setup voltages of a microcontroller DAC or a trimmable resistor voltage divider, the ADN2873 can set up a laser optical average output power and extinction ratio. The optical average power control loop consists of an optical feedback from a photodiode, the comparator, and a status holder. The ADN2873 works easily with the Analog Devices, Inc., ADuC7019/ADuC7020/ADuC7023 family of MicroConverter® devices and with the ADN2890/ADN2891/ADN2892 family of limiting amplifiers to make a complete SFP/SFF transceiver chipset solution.
The ADN2873 is pin compatible with the ADN2870 dual-loop LDD, allowing the same design to work with either device. For dual-loop control applications, refer to the ADN2870 data sheet. The product is available in a space-saving 24-lead, 4 mm × 4 mm LFCSP specified over the −40°C to +85°C temperature range.
- 1×/2×/4× Fibre Channel SFP/SFF modules
- Multirate OC3 to OC48-FEC SFP/SFF modules
- LX-4 modules
- DWDM/CWDM laser transmitters
- HDTV (SMPTE family) laser transmitters
Product Lifecycle Not Recommended for New Designs
This designates products ADI does not recommend broadly for new designs.
Evaluation Kits (1)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.