EVAL-ADBMS1818 Demo Manual12/23/2020
Features and Benefits
- Measures Up to 18 Battery Cells in Series
- 3mV Maximum Total Measurement Error
- Stackable Architecture for High Voltage Systems
- Built-In isoSPI™ Interface
- 1Mb Isolated Serial Communications
- Uses a Single Twisted Pair, Up to 100 Meters
- Low EMI Susceptibility and Emissions
- Bidirectional for Broken Wire Protection
- 290µs to Measure All Cells in a System
- Synchronized Voltage and Current Measurement
- 16-Bit Delta-Sigma ADC with Programmable 3rd Order Noise Filter
- Passive Cell Balancing Up to 200mA (Max) with Programmable Pulse-Width Modulation
- 9 General Purpose Digital I/O or Analog Inputs
- Temperature or Other Sensor Inputs
- Configurable as an I2C or SPI Master
- 6µA Sleep Mode Supply Current
- 64-Lead eLQFP Package
The ADBMS1818 is a multicell battery stack monitor that measures up to 18 series connected battery cells with a total measurement error of less than 3mV. The cell measurement range of 0V to 5V makes the ADBMS1818 suitable for most battery chemistries. All 18 cells can be measured in 290μs, and lower data acquisition rates can be selected for high noise reduction.
Multiple ADBMS1818 devices can be connected in series, permitting simultaneous cell monitoring of long, high voltage battery strings. Each ADBMS1818 has an isoSPI interface for high speed, RF immune, long distance communications. Multiple devices are connected in a daisy chain with one host processor connection for all devices. This daisy chain can be operated bidirectionally, ensuring communication integrity, even in the event of a fault along the communication path.
The ADBMS1818 can be powered directly from the battery stack or from an isolated supply. The ADBMS1818 includes passive balancing for each cell, with individual PWM duty cycle control for each cell. Other features include an onboard 5V regulator, nine general purpose I/O lines and a sleep mode, where current consumption is reduced to 6μA.
- Backup Battery Systems
- Grid Energy Storage
- High Power Portable Equipment
- PC with USB port
- DC2026 Linduino board
- USB cable to connect PC to Linduino
- 14-wire SPI demo board ribbon cable to connect to Linduino (optional)
- 2 isoSPI twisted-pair patch cords to connect DC2972B to isoSPI BMS demo(s)
- Software that controls one or two isoSPI channels (usually intended for demonstrating isoSPI BMS products).
- Connect DC2972B to DC2026 Linduino with ribbon cable (refer to Figure 1) or directly mate with shield connectors (refer to Figure 2).
- Connect BMS demo unit to DC2972B using one or both isoSPI cables. Note: for use with single port isoSPI systems, use only the MAIN isoSPI connection.
- Connect Linduino to PC with USB cable.
- Start evaluation software associated with the BMS demo unit(s).
Documentation & Resources
Pricing displayed is based on 1-piece.
Pricing displayed is based on 1-piece. The USA list pricing shown is for budgetary use only, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit), and is subject to change. International prices may vary due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates.